Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 3 live Fantasy Records  (Read 6547 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
3 live Fantasy Records
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:27:14 AM »
One of my favorite tenor players, Ben Webster at his best," Live at the Renaissance"  is a great sounding lp. I can only imagine what it would be like on a TP tape!
Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Live at Oberlin". This is one of those records that I always thought, had more going for it than the normal releases revealed. I have a real soft spot for Brubeck ( as I'm sure most people do that have seen him live) and this is one of those that really puts you there.
Shelley Manne and his Men " At the BlackHawk" Vol 1 or 2. A friend of mine used to go there (she saw Miles/Coltrane/Adderly,.. no cover!) and she's told me plenty of stories about this SF jazz temple. The first thing she always says is " the drinks were probably the worst in the world!" but when you got to see this level of performance,.. who cares! I mean, other than her.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Re: 3 live Fantasy Records
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 12:18:01 PM »
I, too, have a soft spot for Dave Brubeck. He has been to the our local Rochester Internatinal Jazz Festival 3 times, and I've been there each time. That is one dude who can play-At 86, what do you expect? He is quite witty too, telling the audience about some of the pieces he wrote while here in Rochester. I would say he has a soft spot for us, too. He has graciously signed 3 of my Brubeck Lp's (Together Again for the First Time, Jazz Impressions of Eurasia, and Jazz Goes to College). If it were up to me, he would appear here every year for as long as he wants!
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: 3 live Fantasy Records
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:34:48 PM »
Hey Guys,

I cut my teeth on Jazz At Oberlin College. Everyone including myself was trying to get Paul Desmond's sound. And I could tell that Dave Brubeck was classically trained. He had such a command of his instrument. This ablum introduced me to the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I have the LP and play it often.

Please you guys, give a listen to Ms. Mria Schneider and her jazz orchestra. Her latest album has been nominated for two (2) Grammy awards. I believe this is the second or third recording that has be nominated for Grammy's. Her latest album is "Sky Blue". WOW!!!!!!! Once you hear this lady and her superb orchestra you will do as I did and run out and purchase every recording you can find by this great lady. WOW!!!!!!!!!

Bob W.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.