TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: You know how those Technics reels match the machines?  (Read 6701 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
You know how those Technics reels match the machines?
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »
Well I figured that at least one Technics machine should match Tape Project reels, and luckily for me Jeff Jacobs had already done one in just about the perfect color. This is our new show pony, in a hand rubbed PPG finish with a really nice tortoiseshell red inlay panel.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: You know how those Technics reels match the machines?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
Doc,

What can I say but BEAUTIFUL! Maybe gorgeous would be a better desctiption. This is an outstanding effort.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Vandiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:10:07 AM »
Doc:
How does one go about getting this done to their machine? Cost?
And are you able to provide a Tape Project empty reel for takeup? Cost?
   Van
   [email protected]

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:49:17 PM »
Hi Van,

E-mail me and I will hook you up with Jeff. The price depends greatly upon the particular path you take in customizing the finish. The hand rubbed end panels added considerably to the labor on this project. Since this is a creative expression for him, Jeff also likes to do every machine a little different. Bottom line is you will need to talk to Jeff about the various options of paint, lettering, end panels, etc. We were blue skying about all sorts of crazy stuff like Corian end panels, faux granite paint, etc. The sky is the limit. And the nice part is I can pick up the machine and bring it to my lab to do the mechanical and electronic mods before shipping it back to you, since we live about 40 minutes apart.

Reels are coming. The guys in the Tape Shed are getting more efficient at tape production, so hopefully they will have some time to make some takeup reels.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 02:15:16 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project