TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Removing tape from 10inch reels.  (Read 6299 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Removing tape from 10inch reels.
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »
What can I say guys, but I have not been able to remove tape from aboiut 6 Scotch reels I intend to reuse. I have loosened the 3 screws but can't seem to pull the walls apart without stressing them. These reels of tape came from a radio station and the tape is not useful to me. I would love to keep the reels which are in great condition. HELP!

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Removing tape from 10inch reels.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
Bob,

Just get a single edged razor blade and cut through from the outer edge toward the hub. Do it over a wastebasket. A few seconds each and you've got nice clean reels. If the reel is half full and you can get the blade into one of the windows you can even do it without taking the flanges off. 
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
I have never heard of not being able to seperate the flanges (metal part) from the hub (plastic/resin part that the tape actually loads onto).  I have had so flange screws that were almost impossible to unscrew, or actually broke withn unscrewing, but once the screws are off the flange should easily lift off.

You mentioned 3 screws, some Scotch are 5 and 6 screw but that would be very obvious that you did not remove those screws.  I cannot think of a reason why the flanges would be stuck to the hub unless someone thought it would be a good idea to glue them, or that someting from the tape has leached out over time and gotten between the flange and the hub that then turned into cement.  Never heard of that eather.

If you have a long thin screwdriver I would try and see if you can get in wedged in between the flange and the hub and give a gentle twist.

Of course the razor blade trick will work, but it is still going to take you a bit of time to cut through 10" of tape, and some Scotch flanges had smaller windage holes which will not allow you to cut through all of the tape.

Commerical decks have a waste basket function which allowed you to wind the tape off the side into a waste basket, essentially bypassing the takeup tension arm shut-off sensor.  You can do the same thing by lifting up the takeup tenstion arm and pressing play.  Once you get the tape started into the waste basket it will continue to flow right in.  Of course you are going to be standing there for quite awhile.  If you have a flange that will come apart you would be better of winding the tape to that reel, taking in apart and then popping the tape off of the hub and repeating the process until you had all of the tape off the reels.

Travis

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:07:35 AM »
Gentleman,

Thank you very much. This is excellent information. This kind of assistance is one of the primary reasons I am happy I teamed up with you guys. Thanks for taking the time.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.