TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Studer B-67 Reel to Reel  (Read 20167 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Studer B-67 Reel to Reel
« on: December 25, 2007, 09:39:23 AM »
First guys, I had no knowledge of this machine and was not aware Studer made this model recorder. A gentleman called me to say that he has a B-67 for sale that was given to him by a friend who moved away from the area. He said this friend did not take the B-67 because it was too heavy. That prompted me to do so reasearch, but I was only able to find a small amount of information. I have some questions please.

1. Does anyone have an idea when the B-67 was produced?
2. What things should I look for aside from how the machine looks?
3. What should I expect to spend (roughly) minimally before I put this recorder into service?
4. Does anyone know of minor or major problems that was specific to this particular recorder?
5. Does anyone know how many variations of this recorder was made?
6. Should I even consider the purchase of this machine if there is the potential for major problems?
7. Finally, what would be a reasonable cost for this recorder at this time?

Any advice I can get would be most appreciated and I would certainly use it when I speak with and visit this guy to talk price. Thanks everyone.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Tubejack

• View Profile
Re: Studer B-67 Reel to Reel
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi -

Afraid I don't have any "hands on" information to share, but manuals and technical information on the B-67 MK I and MK II are available here:

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »
Thank you so much my friend. I really appreciate this information. I hope your Christmas is as blessed as mine. By the way, I was wondering where I would obtain mauals and other important information. Again, thank you so much for this feedback.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 06:12:52 PM »
Hey Bob, I hope you didn't mind me poking a little fun your way in the General forum. Here's a link for downloading manuals for Studer machines,..
ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/

I hope your and yours have a great holiday!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 05:34:33 AM »
Steve, not at all. And your great advice is both excellent and needed. I appreciate you and the rest of my friends here taking the time to respond to my many requests for general, specific info and help. That's why I remain a loyal member of this forum. It's a great place to learn and we have leaders who set superb examples of how a forum should be run. Thanks for the link.

Bob W.

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
 Bob W. states -> I have some questions please.

>1. Does anyone have an idea when the B-67 was produced?
Looks like the "B" was introduced about 1976.

>2. What things should I look for aside from how the machine looks?
As most everyone will tell you, look closely at the heads.  However, what I am finding, is that inspection of the capstan shaft where the tape contacts it, is more telling of usage and up-coming service needs.  If it's real shiny, you may at some point need to get the capstan shaft bead blasted or replaced(expensive).

>3. What should I expect to spend (roughly) minimally before I put this recorder into service?
Not sure, it really depends on its personal history, heavy studio usage versus personal home usage.

>4. Does anyone know of minor or major problems that was specific to this particular recorder?
Not aware.  You will in all likelyhood need to plan your approach to achieving IEC eq if you want to play TapeProject tapes on it as I don't think it has switchable eq.  Also uses balanced "cannon" style connectors for input/output.

>5. Does anyone know how many variations of this recorder was made?
Looks like at least a mkI and a mkII.

>6. Should I even consider the purchase of this machine if there is the potential for major problems?
Possibly.  The B-67 has a reputation for very good sounding electronics.

>7. Finally, what would be a reasonable cost for this recorder at this time?
This will vary greatly with condition.  But certainly not nearly as much as one of the Studer studio master recorders: A80/A800/A820/A827.

Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:17:59 AM »
FYI...switching the B-67 from NAB to IEC is fairly straight-fwd.  I was panicked about it and turned out it was only a matter of moving some jumpers on the record and repro cards.

Also, I think I was lucky to get one from a University that probably wasn't used as much as one from a radio station...Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline Tubejack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »
A Big Big Thank you for great information. As always I appreciate this and will abide by and use it to my benefit.

Bob W.

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »
Guys, I just got a call from the gentleman who wants to sell his Studer B67 recorder. He is asking $500 and he says the heads were re-lapped several years ago. Of course I realize that capacitors may need replacement as well which can be costly. At any rate, can anyone say that this is a good starting price?

Hopkins, who is one of our dear friends on this forum has provide me with much information regarding his own experiences with this recorder and some repairs he had to have done.

Christopher advises me to take a keen look at the capstan shaft. He further advises if it's real shiny it may need replacing soon which can be very expensive. I would have never taken a look in that area.

Again, my concern is the asking price. I think $400 is a much better price given that all else is well. What do you think guys????? I will keep everyone informed as I progress. I've pretty much decided that $400 is not an inflated price if the B67 is in great shape with minimum use. By the way, does anyone know if a fourth 1/4 track head can be added to this deck for playback of quarter track tapes?

Bob W.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:01:54 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 01:03:46 AM »
$400 sounds great too me, even if you need to have work done on it...Hopkins

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 05:28:18 AM »
Hopkins,

Thanks very much for your input. However, after looking at the Studer 810's, I wonderded if I ought not wait until I could afford something like that. I really want a recorder that has the ability to slow down near the end of the tape in rewind or fast forward. In other words, I want a recorder that treats tape more gently than does the Studer B-67. Plus this recorder does not have some of the more automatic features of the later Studers. Am I wrong about that? By the way, I got a call from the guy last evening. He only wants $350 for the B-67. It's in a roll-a-round cart and I don't have room for that. Now, if I could remove it from the cart and place it in a beautiful wood case  that sits on a shelf I might consider the purchase. However, I don't know if that can be done. The Otari MTR-15, if in good condition might be something I would consider based on what I've read about it. This recorder offers everyting automatic to include biasing, recording levels,etc. It was very expensive at the time of production at about $10,000 depending on attributes. I am still waiting for the radio station POC to respond. I will keep you in the loop.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:14:26 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »
Bob...I think I made that comment before I caught up with where you are with your B-67 purchase.  I'm feeling blinded by the MTR-15 and would most assuredly consider the 810 as well! 

On the otherhand, in terms of general reliability, I'd probably consider keeping a B-67 or PR99 in the closet for back-up.  That's because I think what I've learned from Angel Gentchev and Jack Clark is that those two models are probably the most "dependable" ones because they're fairly simple designs and don't have as many parts to keep tuned, so to speak.  That said, I don't think that these guys have the most gentle transports compared to machines like the 810 or the MTR-15.

Out of curiosity about the MTR-15...I thought I asked about a "self-tuning" machine awhile back and thought there wasn't such a creature.  Is this machine really capable of self-tuning its' bias and other recording adjustments?  It looks like you can buy the machine brand new as a special build:  http://www.otarius.com/products/MTR15.html  I don't remember seeing this before.  Guess I've really been asleep at the wheel for the past few months....thanks for waking me up!!!

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 02:15:18 PM »
Hello Hop,

Yes, the Otari MTR-15 is a most amazing 2 track recorder. Alignment and calibration prodedures can be set up in a few seconds by using its "alignment panel".  A few selections from the menus there initiates te alignment program. Press record and play and the unit will automatically set levers, EQ, phase compensation, and bias, for the particular kind of tape you happen to have on the recorder, at the particular tape speed selected. Up to sixteen settings can be stored in the M'TR-15 memory. The alignment can becompletely automatic, partially automatic or manual. Whatever one's desire is. This is a beast of a machine to say the least. And as you suggest, a Studer B-67 for backup is not a bad idea at all and thanks much.

If the radio station has not beat it up too badly and don't want an arm, leg and one eye for it, I plan to purchase it just for its great tape handleing ability. I can hardly wait for the station to put this recorder on line to be purchased. Of course I plan to take a look at the Otari MK-50 as well as the Sony APR-5000 for another brother on this forum. What I've stated is as much as I know about the Otari MTR-15 at this time. I do understand the learning curb for this recorder is a bit steep but I'm up for it (smile). My only concern at this point is this. As computer driven as the Otari MTR-15 is what will it cost if repairs were ever needed? Between now and the time I go look at these recorders I've got to do more research.

Bob W.