Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: The Blattnerphone  (Read 3849 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
The Blattnerphone
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
My first post of 2014 and this time we're gonna go way back.
Before magnetic tape was on acetate or even paper, it was on metal.
You've probably seen the pictures of these huge machines and if you're like me, you might want to know more about them.
To get this started, here's a video of one in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31VRgGV-AfM

And now more than most of you guys could ever want to know about them.

http://www.orbem.co.uk/tapes/blattner.htm
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: The Blattnerphone
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:45:39 PM »
Very interesting first post of 2014. Thanks. I can't remember if the Ampex museum had an actual non-functional one or just a picture.
In any case it was fun to see one actually play..."tape".
The other article was also interesting.  I do disagree with one of the opening statements, however. They said -
"the process involved in making a record took at least twelve hours". Perhaps to make a pressing, but certainly by that time there were instantaneous lacquer or other discs that could be cut and played back immediately. In fact, from any point, with a needle drop, which has always been the advantage of disc over linear storage media, to the very hard discs in our computers today.
Anyway, very fun stuff, but I wouldn't want to be too close  to a Blattnerphone when it was rewinding!
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...