Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 12093 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
First Impressions
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »
I've been dying to get this tape after hearing bits and pieces of it at shows and it was well worth the wait!

I don't know about the other subscribers here but to my ears, there's something about great vocals on tape that's,.. greater-er!
Somehow Nat's voice just reaches a little deeper into your soul and the words seem more personal than you'd expect from playback on a home system.
It's much more like hearing a live performance.
Now I won't go into the "whys" but it hasn't been unusual for folks who listen to Tape Project tapes for the first time to describe the sound as "alive". And I don't think it's coincidence that most of these folks have been musicians.
But, whatever this voodoo is, with vocals it just comes out in spades!

Of course, this album isn't just Nat Cole. It's given me a chance to really give a good listen to Shearing. His playing reflects the effortlessness of all the performances here. I guess that "comfortable" is a word I'd use to describe the entire album.
In that aspect, it reminds me a little of the June Christy record "Something Cool" (another great Capital reissued on vinyl).
In fact, I think I'll step away from the keyboard and listen to the two back to back.

Enjoy!

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »
Great Steve

I got my shippment message a couple of days ago!
Xavier Cortes

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »
I finally got to play the album yesterday. It is quite entrancing. In general, I am not very knowledgeable about the jazz offerings in the TP catalogue. It is usually a first time listening to these artists. However, in the case of Nat King Cole, I can remember his black and white television show, with the constant cigarette in his mouth, and the beautiful songs - "Mona Lisa" is one that I vividly remember from 50+ years ago. This album is full of songs like that - memorable tunes and lyrics, beginning with Kurt Weill's "September Song." I read somewhere long ago that Nat King Cole had a limited range of notes that he could sing, and he carefully chose songs that fit within that range.  I certainly don't think about that when I listen to him. What a great, expressive voice. His partner, George Shearing, was equally accomplished. I saw a video of Oscar Peterson explaining the techniques of the great jazz pianists and he demonstrated how Shearing would play whole chords in the right hand to carry the melody line. We have a Yamaha Disklavier and one of the discs we bought for it is George Shearing playing. Quite a bit of fun to have Shearing playing the piano in our living room. Cole was also a great jazz pianist, but we don't get to hear him playing in this album.

Paul did his usual great job in mastering the tape. I don't know what condition it was in, but it sounds really fine - the subtleties of voice, piano and the accompanying jazz combo and strings are all there. Cole is pretty much hard left, and Shearing hard right in the stereo mix, with the other instruments spread around the sound stage. There are not hi-fi stereo extremes in the album - it is designed to highlight the singing of Cole and the piano artistry of Shearing. I wouldn't mind more of this kind of music - there is another pretty popular Capitol singer whom I could suggest.

Larry

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline reelnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
Right on astrotoy- Frank Sinatra.
His 16 disc MFSL vinyl box set is incredible.
I didn't know his music could sound so good.
I particularly enjoy the "swing" albums.
John Hanek (dedicated amateur)- A810, X2000R, X1000R, A3440, GX636. Played thru Yamaha CX1, MX1, YST-SW150 (2), S55 (2).