TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: New ATR tape leaving a mess on my heads  (Read 4324 times)

Offline King Arthur

• View Profile
New ATR tape leaving a mess on my heads
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »
Hey guys

I've got some new ATR master tape which I have recorded a few songs onto. I haven't had this problem before, but after playing about 2 mins of the tape the heads are covered in brown residue and seriously impact the quality of the audio on playback. I've cleaned my deck thoroughly but every time I play the tape the grit comes back after no more than 2 mins

I've never had this problem with ATR tape before. Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening?

See a picture here: http://1drv.ms/1f4DfjG
Loves the Otari

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New ATR tape leaving a mess on my heads
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
Hey Aaron,

We have used thousands of miles of ATR Master tape and have yet to see something like this. Older batches shed more backing than usual for the first ten or twelve passes, but never anything from the emulsion side.

In your photo I see a lot of the deposit on the tape lifter too. My suggestion would be to fast wind it back and forth a few times--or library wind it if that's available--and see what's left on the lifters. If it's still leaving that much gunk, you have a defective reel. If so, ATR will replace it.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline King Arthur

• View Profile
Re: New ATR tape leaving a mess on my heads
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I will give my distributer a call about this...

The band I recorded aren't going to be to happy :(
Loves the Otari