TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Portable case for Studer B67  (Read 10355 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Portable case for Studer B67
« on: December 27, 2007, 05:54:19 AM »
Does anyone know where I would start looking for a case to house a Studer B67 recorder? I have already made arrangement to purchase the unit, but don't want to deal with it in the roll-a-round cabinet in which it's housed presently. I am also going to require a manual for this recorder as well. Any assistance I can get would be very much appreciated.  Thanks all.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:55:32 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Portable case for Studer B67
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:11:17 PM »
Hey Bob, it sounds like your ready to join the Studer list. The home page has some manuals and some more technical stuff too that you might want to check out. It's funny, Studer parts are usually pretty expensive but at the same time, their info is usually downloadable for free. I don't know if you've ever subscribed to a mailing list type forum but here's an easy way to handle the emails that you get ( sometimes you'll get tons of them and they'll take over your mail box). Most email applications will have some sort of built in program that will route certain mail past your inbox and into a separate mailbox. On a MacIntosh (that's me) it's called "rules" and it looks for keywords in the senders address. Yours will be " Studer List". With some of the mailing lists, I'll come home to 30-50 emails from the list. As you might guess, I don't have time to read every one so when I get a chance, I go through and delete the threads that I'm not interested with. I do glance at them for any interesting links but that's it. This might be old news but until I found a decent way to manage these lists, I found myself un-subscribing to ones that I had a genuine interest in.  Here's a link to the Studer List;
http://recordist.com/studer/subscribe.html
I posted this before but maybe you missed it;
ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
Hello Steve,

And thanks so much. Yes I did miss this link. Or, maybe I did not pay attention because I was not looking for a Studer anything. However, things do change and it looks as though I might now be on the cusp of getting a Studer B67. Actually, I am trying to gather as much info as I can up front. This way, If I am in need of something pertaining to the B67 I will have some idea where to start looking. I will share how things turn out after I see the recorder tomorrow and see what kind of shape it's in and see what the guy is willing to sell it for. He seem to be a very nice guy, at least when I have spoken with him so I finally get to meet him tomorrow. Steve, thanks again for the info. I will check out the links, bur first I will have to set my virus program, Zone Alarm, to let some of this mail through.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
I have found and purchased a Studer A-820; it's been sitting in central Texas for the last month (i live in the Seattle area) waiting for me to find a shipping crate for it. I PM'd and e-mailed 'Beefman' here on this forum since he owns 2 A-820's and lives in South Texas.....i figured he would know either where i could have the proper shipping crate built or maybe i could purchase one of his......Beefman has not yet responded.

i saw this mention of the Portable Case for the B67 and figured maybe someone here might have an idea about where i could find a proper crate or case for this beast. My intentions are to have the A-820 shipped to John French to have it re-cap'd and generally gone over (maybe add the Aria electronics).

any ideas? or maybe a way to contact Beefman?

thanks in advance for any help.
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
Ooh, 820, nice!  If you've decided to send it to JFR , you should contact him about shipping. If he's going to do re-furb/mod work to it, he'd probably charge you for the crate/pallet he'd ship it back to you anyway. You might as well get it done for the trip to (NJ?) him.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »
Ooh, 820, nice!  If you've decided to send it to JFR , you should contact him about shipping. If he's going to do re-furb/mod work to it, he'd probably charge you for the crate/pallet he'd ship it back to you anyway. You might as well get it done for the trip to (NJ?) him.

i did call JFR and ask for help on the crate. all he recommended was to contact a shipping agent and have them do the best they can. he had no help on getting the correct crate. i need something that can be used from Texas to JFR in NJ and then back to me in Seattle. i am trying to find someone that can make a proper shipping container for the A-820 that will allow more conventional shipping processes than what i would need without a purpose built crate. so far if i have a company ship it as a delicate scientific instrument it will cost $1000 to $1500 per shipment....which would take all the fun out of this.

i did sign up for the Studer List from your link above, thanks. maybe someone there can give me some help.
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 02:36:16 PM »
I'm sure Jeff will be around soon. If anyone here has experience shipping Studers, he's the man. BTW, not that JFR wouldn't be excellent for doing the work, but that sure is a long way. Have you checked with Dave Dintenfass;
http://www.fulltrackproductions.com/
I know he specializes in Ampex but he may be able to hook you up with someone closer. I mean, what if something were to shake loose during shipment? That would be a nightmare! With all the music production being done in your area, there must be some good Studer techs in the Seattle area.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
I'm sure Jeff will be around soon. If anyone here has experience shipping Studers, he's the man.

agree. i have read his comments both here and audioasylum and he has already gone down the road i'm traveling on.

i had e-mailed him a few times figuring he could set me straight regarding how i should proceed on a number of levels.....crates, refurbing, and output electronics. hopefully he will return from 'wherever' and we can connect.
Mike Lavigne

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 01:09:32 AM »

i did sign up for the Studer List from your link above, thanks. maybe someone there can give me some help.

Mike,

The owner of the Studer list, Fred Thal, can help you. His business is refurbishing Studer A80 and A820 two tracks. I imagine he has experience shipping them. Contact him at afthal at gmail dot com. He is located near Ukiah, California.

BTW he is the person selling the Levinson/Studer A80 on eBay right now.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »
Paul and Steve,

Thanks for the help; it's great to ask a question and quickly get some good ideas.

i did subscribe to the Studer List and i e-mailed Fred Thal......hopefully this will move things forward.

Dan has also offered to assist me with my ATR-102 as his time allows; which was much appreciated.

Again, thanks to all for the support.

Mike Lavigne
Mike Lavigne

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 08:41:41 PM »
update; Fred Thal returned my e-mail and then called me.......and it appears that i have found the right place to both get a shipping crate and have the A-820 inspected and 'made right'......i am very relieved. Hopefully in the near future i'll have a first rate fully functional A-820 to use.

Fred is a guy that 'gets it'........a pro audio person with 'high end' audio sensibilities......very rare in my experience (other than Paul, Romo and Doc B. of course).

Bob; from what Fred said i would guess that he could put together a crate for your B67......it won't be cheap but it will be right. Paul's post above has his e-mail address.

again; thanks to all for the help.
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »
Very cool Mike. Please keep us updated on the work that Fred does for you. I'm thinking that I might have an 820/2ch,80rc somewhere in my future. 
I think, aside from the money thing, it's always better to keep shipping distances to a minimum. Here's a little shipping horror story that's always stuck with me. A friend of mine was racing bicycles. He and a buddy needed to get to a race a couple of states away and neither had a van/truck for the 2 bikes. They ended up renting one of those little U-haul trailers and packed up their bicycles carefully. When they got to their hotel, they went to do a final check on adjustments on their bikes. They had screwed a couple of 2x4's to the floor and front wall of the trailer and used bungie cords to strap the bikes to the 2x4's with some towels to protect the finish in between. Between the constant motion of the trailer and the shock absorbing nature of the tires, the bikes were moving at a slightly different rate than the 2x4's. The 2x4's had worn through the towel and came close to cutting all the way through the top tube of both of their frames. Just a slight rub but over and over for hours had ruined both of their bikes and their weekend to boot. So the moral to the story is, even when you figure that  something is crated up properly, if it has mass, it's going to move a little. So if it's getting shipped by truck or by train, a thousand miles is a whole lotta extra movements
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 11:31:06 PM »
Steve,

great story.....as i'm in the car business and all my cars (400+ a month) are shipped to me.....i have many horror stories over many years (cars tied down too firmly.....cars falling off transporters....etc. etc.).

yes, shipping large heavy delicate instruments can be easily screwed up.

the seller of the A-820 told me that the stand for the A-820 could not be removed......which did not make sense to me......so i asked Fred about that. he told me that it was a poor design choice by Studer......the deck can be removed from the stand......but unless it is done by someone with lots of experience they will likely end up screwing something up. So they actually design the shipping crates to have the deck and integral stand sit on it's back so the center of gravity will be lower and the whole thing can be more easily stabilized. in any case i'm happy to have someone experienced involved.
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
That sounds great Mike. It's so important to find the right tech. Does Fred have a web site? Even if he doesn't, and your happy with his work you should make a post on the service resources forum with contact info. and services he provides.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 08:14:04 AM »
Mike I want to thank you very much for your research and finally finding someone that might be able to meet many of our needs in terms of shipping high quality tape recorders to and fro as well as an avenue for repairs. I would love it if you kept us in the loop regarding your experiences as you go forward. Thanks again.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:11:20 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »