Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Notes on a couple of Dolby B Decoders - Teac AN-180 and Advent 100A  (Read 3760 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
A customer sent me a Teac AN-180 for "upgrading".  This activity allowed me to "update my understanding of" Dolby B decoders in general, this Teac, and an Advent 100A that I happened to have in my "to do" pile.

Most of these "stand alone" decoders were designed to "plug in" between your tape recorder and your system's preamplifier / control section and decode a pre-recorded tape that was encoded with Dolby B noise reduction.   

The "upgrades" consisted of replacing 3 or 4 coupling capacitors in the input stages of the decoding section and adding regulation to the power supplies.  The Teac  had a "first generation op amp" in the output section which I bypassed.  The output amplifier in the Advent was discrete so I left it in.

Listened to both finished units and slightly preferred the Advent.  Sent both to the customer, and he did also.  He may keep it - or it's "up for grabs".

Charles