Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Wow and fluter meter calibration  (Read 8033 times)

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
Wow and fluter meter calibration
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
Another naive question:
How do you calibrate a wow and flutter meter? Apparently one could use a CD recorded with standard tones having a know amount of wow and flutter, but I could not find any reference to such standards.
Francisco

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
Re: Wow and fluter meter calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »
you use a bessel null calibration. if you were a rf engineer you would know how, its not really fun.

or you could pm me and I'll send you a file of a bessel null calibration file to use as a standard.

alan
at
waltzingbear com

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum Alan.
I'm assuming you are the same Alan Garren whose informative posts I see on the Ampex list from time to time.
It's always great to have someone with real technical know how visit us here.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
It is I. My "day" job is keeping Portland Safe for Recording. My night job is scratching away on the fiddle.

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
It is great to have some one who is an expert and also very friendly and helpful - I received today my Panasonic (National)  VP7750A wow and flutter meter and could check its calibration using the test wave Alan supplied. I am an happy man - the VP7750A reads .52% and the test tone wave has .507% flutter. Thanks Alan!

The unit come without a service manual. Do you know where I can find or buy one?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 05:25:41 PM by microstrip »
Francisco

Offline Mikemaxcel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 06:24:39 AM »
If some one got the service manual I would like to have a copy with reasonable payment.