TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Otari MX5050 Problem --- Right reel not turning  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Walkamo

• View Profile
Otari MX5050 Problem --- Right reel not turning
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post... I picked up a Otari MX5050 today in pretty nice shape. The problem is that the right reel does not turn in Play mode or fast forward (or at all). I can manually turn it. I have manually disengaged the brake and it still does not turn.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari MX5050 Problem --- Right reel not turning
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forum.

First, I suggest you download the service manuals since fixing this problem is bound to require opening up the machine and working on the guts.
If you check out the stickies located above the General forum, there are links to just about every Otari 5050 service manual for download.

I would guess that the basic problem is that the take up reel brake is not disengaging. It could be that the brake band and rotor are stuck together and just need to be pulled apart and cleaned or it could be an adjustment thats really out of whack.
Most of the time, these kinds of problems become obvious once you get a close look.
Of course, it could also be the motor or control electronics. Finding out if the motor is getting juice would be a good place to start if you rule out the brakes, frozen bearings or mechanical obstructions.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Walkamo

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX5050 Problem --- Right reel not turning
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the info.. It was just a stupid mistake on my side. The Edit button was pressed which prevented the right hub from turning.

Now I cannot get any output from this thing. Looks like someone has connected a 4 pin cable directly to the heads..

Thanks,

Chris