TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: My Decca Book Finally Published - FIM Decca:Supreme Stereophonic Legacy  (Read 8122 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
As many of you know, about 18 months ago Winston Ma of First Impression Music asked me to write a book about Decca Records and the golden age of stereo (1958-1980).  The book and accompanying 4 CD's is finally out, debuting this week at the Hong Kong Audio Show.  Gary Koh of Genesis Speakers will also have the book and playing the CD's at the California Audio Show next week. Both Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds are selling the book at a discounted prepublication price. It should be available in the US sometime later this month.

I had a lot of fun writing the book and the (extensive) liner notes to the CD's. As a point of information, our own Paul Stubblebine did the mastering of the original Decca analogue tapes that FIM first issued about a decade ago.  The 4 CD's contain lengthy excerpts from 17 of the greatest Decca albums, mostly classical, but with a little Mantovani, Edmundo Ros and Stanley Black. No Rolling Stones or Moody Blues.

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: My Decca Book Finally Published - FIM Decca:Supreme Stereophonic Legacy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
Congratulations Larry!
I can't wait to see your book and will certainly be asking to get my copy signed.
Maybe I'll get a chance to hear the CD's during breaks at the show (I should have some time since I quit smoking last year!).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »
Wonderful news !
Congratulations.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:42 AM »
Larry, congrats - how do I obtain a copy?  (Signed, of course!)

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline gamve

• Tape Tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:06:42 AM »
Hi Larry,
I also would love a copy of your work
Cheers
Graham
Graham Van Essen
(Living in the past in an analogue dream)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind words. Right now the big three - Elusive Disc, Acoustic Sounds, and Music Direct are carrying the book and CD set for a 10% Pre publication price.  Winston emailed me that the entire stock of CD's which went to the Asia Hi Fi Show in Hong Kong this past week was sold out, so he is have addition runs done for dealers in the US and Europe. Ten copies of the book were reserved for him and the other principals, so I will be getting my copy (haven't gotten one yet) in the next few days.

We'll try to work something out with autographing. 

Hope you enjoy the writing and the music.

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49:15 PM »
Hi Larry - I searched all three sites and didn't locate your book. If perchance you have a link and can share, great. Otherwise I'll call when I return to the US.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
Hi Tom, thanks. At this moment, Elusive Disc has the book featured at the top of its home page. They have some in stock now and are filling orders.  I also saw it on the Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct websites. Search under the title Decca:Supreme Stereophonic Legacy, or First Impression Music.

All three are offering 10% off.

I searched the title in google and also found that Amazon and Best Buy are selling it, but with delivery in October and the price at about $300, or $50 above retail and $75 above what the other three are selling it for.

Larry

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
I saw it at the show.
Was in the room that was selling re-mastered CDs. Sorry, can't find literature or reference to who that was.
Were you there?
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
Sorry, I couldn't make it to the CAS.  Our grandson was born (in LA) the same week as the book's debut in Hong Kong. We just got back from LA on Thursday.  Both the baby and book appear to be doing well. I understand the book and CD's were at a couple of the rooms and there even was a dealer who had a few copies (don't know who). A few people in the US have received their copies from Elusive Disc and maybe other dealers.

Larry

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:14:55 PM »
Very exciting!
Congratulations, Larry :-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)