Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 16 Ton Studio & Ampex 401  (Read 4868 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
16 Ton Studio & Ampex 401
« on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:50 AM »
Here's a great article of the open house at the restored 16 Ton Studio in Nashville.
Aside from the Ampex and Scully recorders, there seems to be plenty of other drool worthy gear.

http://thenashvillebridge.com/2013/11/25/sixteen-ton-studio-premiers-norman-petty-vintage-studio-b/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: 16 Ton Studio & Ampex 401
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
Very cool !
Thanks Steve !
Interesting that both that studio and Les Paul had hit songs recorded with what is considered to be the most questionable early Ampex pro portable machine. The 400 series with the capstan and pinch roller metering tape on the input side of the head block. Only machine I am aware of made that way. 
A half inch 3 track Ampex shown (as a 4 track) was still missing some parts, but a lot of classic gear there.
My friend has a pair of those Altec mixers and I have one of the Ampex stereo ones.
LOL, I think I spied an Alesis master link (or maybe an ADAT) sitting there on the shelf. Either way, that's one more piece of equipment I have that they do. :-)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:58:03 PM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...