Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Otari mx5050 bII - constant hum - potential PSU issues?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline thraxeh

• View Profile
Otari mx5050 bII - constant hum - potential PSU issues?
« on: November 29, 2014, 01:35:16 AM »
I picked up my first RTR a few days ago an Otari mx5050 bII

I grabbed it for very cheap as it was advertised as "requires repairs" as i was after a project to see if I could get this up and running again. I checked it out and it looked complete - I got it home powered it up and only the capstan was spinning - so I replaced all fuses and now it appears all transport controls work, all reels spin and the breaks/solenoids work fine. So far so good. I also deoxit all switches and connections.

The next issue is that the meters peg as soon as I turn it on and there is a constant hum on the headphone output - I have yet to plug anything into it other than power and headphones. The hum doesn't change at all when I turn any input or output knobs, and I can't hear the test tones or any kind of change when I switch the monitoring switches etc.

I measured DC across all Pins on the inputs and outputs and came up with some interesting results

Both Line Outputs
Pin 1: 10mv
Pin 2: 1v
Pin 3: 3v

Both Mic Inputs
Pin 1: 16v
Pin 2: 10mv
Pin 3: 500mv

Both Line Inputs
Pin 1: 1.2v
Pin 2: 10mv
Pin 3: 1.2v

My main concern is 16v on Pin 1 of the Mic inputs - this doesn't seem right, or maybe this is expected? At this point I don't want to plug anything into the inputs or outputs as I appears something is wrong.

As it is occurring consistently across left and right channels I guess I have to focus on the power supply - is there any common points I should check? I'm going to check the voltage rails and see that they are consistent.

Offline thraxeh

• View Profile
Re: Otari mx5050 bII - constant hum - potential PSU issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:03:16 AM »
My -18 rail is only showing ~200mv

Need to investigate further!

Edit: further testing...

While testing around the -18v rail - I accidentally shorted the vreg chip with my multimeter and it ended up fixing it?!

Anyway, time to clean the heads and test this further

*** Cleaned heads and put first reel on - recorded some acoustic and vocals through mic inputs - works well so far.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:28:22 AM by thraxeh »

Offline thraxeh

• View Profile
Re: Otari mx5050 bII - constant hum - potential PSU issues?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
So my Otari is going well. I will just add more information as I go on...

The heads were worn with grooves, so I lapped them and the tape lifters. Made a HUGE difference to high freq consistency on the 2nd channel. Also revived the pinch roller rubber by sanding away the smooth layer and cleaning with soaping water - brought back some of its grip - its now usable, but I have a replacement on order which I think is necessary.

waiting on some MRL tape to arrive so I can calibrate it properly. having a blast though, should have got into tape sooner.