TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Hooker 'n' Heat First Impressions  (Read 13626 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Hooker 'n' Heat First Impressions
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
Back in the 70's my friends always had a stack of "in heavy rotation" records propped up against a speaker/stereo cabinet etc..
There was always a copy of Electric Ladyland, the Beatles White Album, Volunteers (jefferon airplane), Hot Tuna and Hooker 'n' Heat in that pile.
I'll admit that those first 5 still grace my turntable once every couple of years but until I put this tape on my Technics, it had been freakin forever since I'd even heard so much as a single cut!

Wow! It was like I'd never heard it before.
This is one of those "you are there" recordings and I seriously doubt that I'd ever heard it on a decent system till now or I woulda remembered.
If you're looking for one of those sterile audiophile recordings where everything is "just so", look elsewhere.
But if you revel in the sounds and feel of some folks who've got talent oozing out of every pore doing the highest level of artistic communication before your very ears, you can't do much better than this.
I can't speak for listeners who've never been personally involved with musical creation, but for those who have, this is very exciting stuff!
Thanks guys, this ones killer!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: Hooker 'n' Heat First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
To me not even a Quantum view :(

Thanks for the report Steve!
Xavier Cortes

Offline TommyTunes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
It's Christmas season and I was just visited by the Ghost of John Lee and let's not forget the great great Alan Wilson. As a person who has owned this album since release along with every audiophile reissue, this one is IT.  Should have been a four tape set. 
Thomas Caselli

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
Got mine!

Too bad I have a lot of work this week and hopefully will be out of circulation the next so won't taste it before 2015.
Xavier Cortes

Offline Blunderbus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
So Xcortes did you ever play the tape?
If so.....?
Charlie Vonderheid

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:52:40 PM »
For those who have not seen it yet, Myles Astor has a great review of Hooker 'N' Heat as well as The Sidewinder in issue 79 of Positive Feedback

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue79/tape_project.htm
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »
I spent the weekend with some of my headphone buddies and set up my rig there.
I took an assortment of tapes and among them was the Hooker'n'Heat.
Can't recall hearing more hoots of joy as folks sampled the "you are there" quality of this release!
As I've said before,..
Great choice guys!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
Hello,
I just listened to reel no.1 of this performance and my wife and I are completely amazed at how terrific this tape sounds. The air between your speakers just disappears and becomes the original place where this music happened! Congratulations to the Tape Project team and thanks for making this possible! Now to listen to tape no.2.