Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Cabinet (Portable Case) Maker  (Read 5808 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Cabinet (Portable Case) Maker
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:59:36 AM »
My Friends,

If anyone knows of a cabinet maker who is skilled in making portable cases for tape decks? I am looking for someone to make a case to fit a Studer B-67 recorder. It now appears that I might not be successful in obtaining a ready made case for this recorder. I am counting my pennies as I write this (smile). Thanks for all information.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:07:57 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Cabinet (Portable Case) Maker
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »
Hey Bob, I just stumbled across this guy on eBay. Kind of expensive but it can't hurt to try.
http://cgi.ebay.com/OAK-Side-Panels-for-Studer-A810-A807Mk1-CustomCrafted_W0QQitemZ260197838211QQihZ016QQcategoryZ67812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcm
I really think your best option is to wait till you have the machine and service manual and find a good finish carpenter to make you something that's exactly the way you want it to look. Most towns have a lumber yard that specializes in exotic hardwoods. The usually have a bin with little end pieces of all the woods they carry and you can buy some of them and fool around with finishes till you figure out the steps to obtain the look you want. They will have a list of carpenters (usually on a bulletin board) that you can get to cut/drill and insert metal sleeves if needed.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: Cabinet (Portable Case) Maker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
Dear Steve,

Not only are you right but see my latest post (Studer B-67 No Go!). However, I am going to check this gentleman out just to get a fix on what he mught charge for that kind of work. Thank you so much my friend.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.