TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Studer B-67 A No-Go!  (Read 6946 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Studer B-67 A No-Go!
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:20:38 PM »
Well my friends it appears that I am back to square one regarding the Studer B-67 recorder. I actually went to see and check out the recorder close up on Saturday. Mind you, during several phone conversations with the seller he noted that the B-67 was in great shape with no obvious flaws. Although he shared that he had played a 3 Dog Night tape about one month ago and found the sound excellent and the recorder in great shape, he said he had no music that I would want to hear. I quickly informed him I have a number ofl 2 track tapes I would bring along for the demostration. Could it be he thought I would purchase the recorder without testing it first even if I had to listen to 3 Dog night?????

When I got to the gentleman's townhouse he had the B-67 sitting in the hallway so that I could see it. I asked him to plug it in so that we could both check it out. Since he already had a home recorded tape (3 Dog Night) on the machine I decided to start with that first. Besides, I wanted to find out more about this group or band. Needless to say the recorder ran slow at all speeds. As I attempted to try to find the problem I began to smell a strange odor.  I first became acquainted with this smell when I majored in electronics back in 1975. I never forgot the smell of a can capacitor going bad. I asked the gentleman if he caught the smell and he said he did not. He unplugged the recorder for a few minutes then plugged it back in.. The recorder continued to run slow. Again I began to note that smell and again the seller said he could not smell anything but quickly cut the machine off.

Well to make a long story short, there is no way this guy did not know this machine had problems. This was not a problem that just cropped up within the last month. It just goes to show, if we can't trust people with a tape recorder we can actually access and test, how can we trust most of the sellers on Ebay to give us a good honest deal? I never did get a chance to put either of my 2 track tapes on the B-67. By the way, the guy was most apologetic, noting he had no idea what was wrong and that the recorder was working perfectly the last time he used it (smile).

I offered to purchase the unit with a substantial reduction in price in "as is" condition.  Even had there been no apparent problems I had planned to send the unit off for inspection and a close look at all of the major capacitors and possible replacement. That's it guys. I will update you later once I see what this guys plans are. Thanks for listening.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.