TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Need help - hubs for Otari MX5050 BIII  (Read 4370 times)

Offline dkeithpeoples

• View Profile
Need help - hubs for Otari MX5050 BIII
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
I recently purchased an Otari MX5050 BIII and have been trying to buy the NAB hub adaptors on eBay. My first attempt resulted in a pair that was intended for 1/2" tape and did not fit. Although the spindle size was the same the hubs did not have the grooves corresponding to the 3 splines on my spindles. The spindles are 1.25" long and the splines are approximately 3/4". The second pair of adaptors I purchased had the grooves but they are only about 3/8" deep and the hubs do not mount flush with the wheels on the deck. Both hubs were made by Otari. Did Otari change the design of the hubs between the BII and the BIII models of the MX5050? Does anyone know what I should purchase that will accommodate the full 3/4" length of the splines?

Keith

P.S. I played around with the hubs and by loosening the knobs I managed to get the hubs to go over the splines and into position on the spindles. When I try to tighten the knob the hub assembly pushes itself backwards off the spindle. Is there a trick to making these work or do I just have the wrong model hub for this tape deck?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:07:06 PM by dkeithpeoples »

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: Need help - hubs for Otari MX5050 BIII
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
I thought the BIII had the spindles like most consumer decks, that the tip pulls out and twists. Meaning you can use ant NAB dadpter that a Teac, Revox or Sony uses. The BII has solid shaft spidles which need Otari KWOH009 or TW-670. I like VIF adapters on my BII machines.

Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline dkeithpeoples

• View Profile
Re: Need help - hubs for Otari MX5050 BIII
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 06:28:14 PM »
That seems to explain it. The BIII does have the tip that pulls out and twists and  the hub adaptor I purchased was the KWOHOO9. I will return these and find some teac adaptors. Thanks.