TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Huge Lot of Jazz Reel to Reel Tapes  (Read 7064 times)

Offline SFJazzMan

• View Profile
Huge Lot of Jazz Reel to Reel Tapes
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »
Hello Tape friends!

I am new to this whole reel to reel thing.

I recently inherited a giant collection of mostly jazz reel to reels, about 1,000 tapes. They are all homemade tapes and include music mostly from the swing ear. Complete discographies of artists that played during that time. There are tons of mail order tapes and news broadcasts as well. They were preserved very well and all have labels and typed track lists. I have organized them and I am now, slowly, entering the information into an excel spreadsheet. I am wondering if anyone knows where/how to figure out the value of some of these tapes or if anyone has any leads on who is interested in large collections like this. I cannot seem to find anything even remotely similar to this online. I am a jazz LOVER and know some of this stuff is very special. There is a ton of letters from individuals he was trading with across the US and beyond. There are no master tapes. I am just looking for some information and adice and I thought this would be a good place to look.

Here is a Imgur album with some photos:

http://imgur.com/dtLjyf3,OF34yKk,peJ7u9E,sqfVWoL,3WgfSZ7,kpSrUPX,XvOGIUY,MMtWUtA,u55GBV0,vhyM5Eb,fQKslWP,87T7xBy,4qCj0DM,a3UO2eV,N45JsmY,0oNTSXl,9NFkH7j,I6MUm9k,a0xl5hu,Pq6765E,zBrUsOj,rOeuKor,fTysj8m,gdTXjSh,NPi1eSs,2rb5u1i,WFmeYUi,oYNviIA,mktISvm,HtazO52,LOfl0J7,fJFo6PG,JD9OElY,Z37h7EV,flGTy0e,0McGHOR,jTfwJdX,iNPnHSb,UtzpYl3,fpMPzsn,snSNgg2,vL5kAWw,3Lpbk00,3GcKeiV,rles5vY,IOAyPLM#0

Thank you for looking and feel free to email me if you want!
Matt

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Huge Lot of Jazz Reel to Reel Tapes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
Looking at the artists and considering the era I would guess that a lot of these are transfers from 78s. Guessing some more, I would imagine the recordings of greatest value would be any that might not still be around on shellac. So you might start by talking to a collector of jazz 78s. Continuing to throw out WAGs I would suggest that in the end the collection as a whole with all of the documentation might have the most worth, as a great example of the tape exchange concept.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project