TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tape Heads  (Read 5107 times)

Offline frosty55

• View Profile
Tape Heads
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:51:36 AM »
I have a Nakamichi DR8 that I record TDK MA-XG tapes on. Lately I have noticed a white residue on the heads after recording. Anyone know what this might be?

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Tape Heads
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
We're a reel to reel oriented group here so I don't know that you will get much help specific to your Nakamichi. In general, deposits left on heads are from the tape losing it's oxide/binder. On a reel to reel deck it is pretty easy to rig up a piece of pellon to wipe the tape to clean off some of the loose stuff. Obviously that is going to be more difficult with a cassette. You might try a cassette tape oriented forum to see if someone has a method for cleaning the tape in a cassette.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:42:40 PM »
Try contacting:

Tom Brucker

Hi Tech Service
2934 Nolensville Pk.
Nashville, TN 37211
615-331-9241
[email protected]

He is the Nakdoc on other tape forum.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
Hey Frosty,

A couple of possible reasons for white (powdery?) residue on your heads.
Both are caused by the tape.
One is binder hydrolysis. Some tape formulations (IIRC Agfa/BASF) produce a white substance when the binder breaks down.
It would be accompanied by tape squeal and the machine might stop too.
The other is mold.
Bad stuff if you have a collection that you want to keep in good shape.
Not only does the mold produce spores which spread the infection to tape that are played on this machine, but they will cause drop outs and the mold will eventually ruin the tape itself.
Try and track down the offending tape(s), toss them, and clean your machine like never before.
Luckily cassettes are much better at keeping stuff like spores contained.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades