Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Otari MX-7600 Capstan & supply motor problems  (Read 3960 times)

Offline amcgall

• View Profile
Otari MX-7600 Capstan & supply motor problems
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »
I recently purchased an Otari MX-7600.  Unfortunately for me, the machine is defective.  It has two problems that I have found so far:

1.  The capstan doesnm't turn.  The pinch roller does freely turn.

2.  The supply motor seems extremely slow.

Any troubleshooting hints would be greatly appreciated.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Otari MX-7600 Capstan & supply motor problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
The first thing to try might be to leave the deck on overnight to see if some capacitors need to reform. Old caps can get leaky and pull the operating voltages down. The capstan might need lubrication. Try giving it a twist with the tension arms armed. If it starts to spin up it probably just needs some lube. Or you may need to get inside the deck to see if the capstan motor controller is on a plug in card that might need reseating.  Supply motor could be a brake adjustment issue. Or, if it's slow when pulling tape, your tape might be sticky.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: Otari MX-7600 Capstan & supply motor problems
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:57 PM »
I would start cleaning, DeOxit, the switches. If there is an internal speed switch that is dirty it can stop the capstan motor. Same with the front panel speed switch as well as the pitch control. Just unplugging and re-seating all the plugs on the main board fixed a dead take up motor on one if my decks. Otari decks are touch to kill.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1