TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: 2015 Axpona  (Read 12210 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
2015 Axpona
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:34:12 AM »
Re: AXPONA Chicago April 24-26, 2015 - Who is going?
For those going to Axpona

Seminar at AXPONA 2015 Chicago
Sunday, April 26, 2015 | 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Open to All Attendees!

Discover the Reel Truth
Myles B. Astor PhD
Senior Assistant Editor, Positive Feedback Magazine, Executive Editor, AVShowrooms.com

Audiophiles seeking the Holy Grail, the ne plus ultra of sound, need look no further than 15-ips/2-track reel-to-reel tape. These 21st century, real time duplicated, second or third generation copies, simply are as close as one can get to the original recordings. Today, more than fifteen companies in the US and abroad are now releasing both new and old recordings on reel-to-reel tape. The panel of speakers will touch on a variety of topics ranging from choosing a reel-to-reel machine, the ins-and-outs of tape machine electronics and matching the electronics to the tape heads as well covering the recording and duping end of the tape business.

As an aside, I'll also be a part of the Ask the Editors panel discussion on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 PM.

http://www.axpona.com/sessions_byTrack.asp
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: 2015 Axpona
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »
More than 15 companies? Wow! I only know of four or five. Can you share a list?

Thanks
Xavier Cortes

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:04:58 PM »
More than 15 companies? Wow! I only know of four or five. Can you share a list?

Thanks

This is what I have so,far.

All are legit sources.

The Tape Project
Master Tape Sound
Yarlung Records
Opus 3
Fone
International phonograph Inc
Lutz Precision/MPS-Music
UltraAnalogue
Hemiolia Records
Premonition Records/Patricia Barber
Lyn Stanley
Open Reel Records
Tone-Pearls Records
Dangerous Analog
Groove Note
Quinton Records
ABC Records
Analog Mastering Services

Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
Amazing. Thanks
Xavier Cortes

Offline A.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:00:55 AM »
Thanks for the list!
However, I couldn't find any signs of reel to reel here:
Premonition Records
Lyn Stanley
Fone Records
Dangerous Analog
Groove Note

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:05 AM »
Thanks for the list!
However, I couldn't find any signs of reel to reel here:
Premonition Records
Lyn Stanley
Fone Records
Dangerous Analog
Groove Note

http://www.analogmaster.net/master-tapes-for-sale/

Groove Note, Fone and Opus 3 are handled by Elusive Disc. Type reel on their search engine.

Lyn Stanley's latest release  (all analog) engineered by Grammy Award winning engineer Al Schmidt is available directly from from Lyn.

I'm not sure whether or not the Patricia Barber is still available. Jonathan Horwich was duping the tapes for that release.

Dangerous Analog is brand new and we will be introducing the CEO and company at Axpona. They will also have a booth at the marketplace. Their first release will be out this month and their catalog will consist of both new recordings and reissues.

Besides obviously TTP's releases, highly recommend Yarlung, Lutz Precision, Opus 3 and Groove Note!

We've come a long way in just the last three years! When Dan was a member of our first panel at Axpona, there was but a handful of companies releasing 15 ips tapes. That number has tripled since then due to the demand from more and more people buying decks and especially the work of Greg Beron who has carried out a scorched earth policy of trying to get every company on earth to release in the tape format. Not to mention the people buying Greg's UHA decks.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:40:03 AM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
Very cool Myles!
I guess I knew most of those but when you see them in a list, it looks impressive!

Have fun in Chicago (one of my fav towns)!
I wish I was going but I'm lucky to have the time to check this forum right now.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »
I wish the NY show later this year could have this seminar. While in wish mode, I would love to attend the Axpona Chicago show.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
Have a great show, Myles!
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:46 PM »
Have a great show, Myles!

Thanks Sam.
Myles B. Astor

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
I wish the NY show later this year could have this seminar. While in wish mode, I would love to attend the Axpona Chicago show.

Working on it but think have more of a shot for RMAF.
Myles B. Astor