Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: new member  (Read 6246 times)

Offline genel

• View Profile
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
 hello, My name is Gene.

I've been a long time audio nut, I prefer tubes and turntables, and just got a great deck, a RS 1500. 

I know it's not a pro deck, but it's close enough for me.

Back a long time ago, I took a 2 year audio engineering course, and I remember the Neve 16 track desk, and two MCI tape decks, a 16 track and a 2 track deck.

Coming from a technician background, I am impressed with the capstan motor of the technics, and how well it maintains speed. Oh, and that flywheel is massive!

I hope to learn things here, and the first question I have is about someone having a handle on the custom IC's used on the capstan motor board. Are they still available, if so, how much? might not be a bad thing to have some replacements in stock, just in case.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:09:43 PM by genel »
Serving content-free posts since 1984

Gene Lambert

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
I am not aware of those chips being prone to failure. Jeff Jacobs at j-corder is a good resource for RS1500 info.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline genel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »
Thank you.

I am not worried (right now) about those chips, I just thought for the future.
Serving content-free posts since 1984

Gene Lambert

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »
Hi Gene,

Welcome to the forum!
I think I have spares of those IC's I found from an online parts dealer in China.
I can't really recall the situation, but I fixed a machine by replacing one of those a long time ago.
As a result, I tracked some down and stockpiled a few.
Any member here that needs one just needs to ask.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades