Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Otari M5050-BII doesn't Rewind/ FF  (Read 4448 times)

Offline juanfz

• View Profile
Otari M5050-BII doesn't Rewind/ FF
« on: June 13, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Hi:
My name is Juan, I became a Forum member three years ago, but It's my first post. I fell in love with reel to reel  sound from the first time a heard to a reel to reel tape many years ago when I was a teenager. now I'm 63.
I have been using  an Otari M5050 BII  four years without any problems but recently I bought some Ampex GM-3600 tapes, when using them  my Otari plays them well but when trying to rewind or fast forward the reels don't move or move very slowly.
The tapes seem to be good (no mold, no sticky nor gummy signs), Has anybody had the same issue?
I would be very pleased if someone helps me to figure out  what's happening.
Excuse my English.
Regards,
Juan

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari M5050-BII doesn't Rewind/ FF
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
Hi Juan,

Even though the tape doesn't seem sticky (to the touch?) I'd say the evidence speaks for itself.
The problem that makes the tapes sticky increases with heat. The faster you draw the tape across any fixed (not rotating) elements in the tape path such as guides and heads, the stickier the tape becomes.
Once a tape starts getting sticky, it just gets worse. You can bake a sticky tape and it will be okay long enough to transfer important audio but it's difficult to know how long the tape will be playable.

This is one of the primary reasons I never buy old tape. If the tape is "virgin", there's no way that the seller can know if it's got issues like this. The other is to support the guys who still produce tape today.
Their efforts are pretty heroic in this day and age!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Blunderbus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Amen Ironbut.

It may seem less expensive to buy NOS or used tape, however once you run into these kind of problems how much is your time and the performance of your deck worth?

As noted on another topic thread, RMGI is having their challenges, and there is ATR Magnetics in beautiful York PA both of whom would love to sell you brand new tape which is second to none.

From the sounds of it however ATR Magnetics will actually be able to deliver your tape purchase to you in a timely fashion!

Buy new.  Keep the supply chain in business.
Charlie Vonderheid

Offline juanfz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
Thank you Ironbut and Blunderbus for your answer.
It's the first time that I have such problems despite having previously bought old pre-recorded tapes that I'm using with no problems, maybe cheaper tapes are less prone to the sticky syndrome.
You're right I'll never buy old tapes again. Let's keep the supply chain in business.
Regards,
Juan