Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: new member  (Read 6232 times)

Offline genel

• View Profile
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
 hello, My name is Gene.

I've been a long time audio nut, I prefer tubes and turntables, and just got a great deck, a RS 1500. 

I know it's not a pro deck, but it's close enough for me.

Back a long time ago, I took a 2 year audio engineering course, and I remember the Neve 16 track desk, and two MCI tape decks, a 16 track and a 2 track deck.

Coming from a technician background, I am impressed with the capstan motor of the technics, and how well it maintains speed. Oh, and that flywheel is massive!

I hope to learn things here, and the first question I have is about someone having a handle on the custom IC's used on the capstan motor board. Are they still available, if so, how much? might not be a bad thing to have some replacements in stock, just in case.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:09:43 PM by genel »
Serving content-free posts since 1984

Gene Lambert

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »
I am not aware of those chips being prone to failure. Jeff Jacobs at j-corder is a good resource for RS1500 info.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline genel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:56 PM »
Thank you.

I am not worried (right now) about those chips, I just thought for the future.
Serving content-free posts since 1984

Gene Lambert

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »
Hi Gene,

Welcome to the forum!
I think I have spares of those IC's I found from an online parts dealer in China.
I can't really recall the situation, but I fixed a machine by replacing one of those a long time ago.
As a result, I tracked some down and stockpiled a few.
Any member here that needs one just needs to ask.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades