Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Weird speed issue with Otari 5050  (Read 5197 times)

Offline dkeithpeoples

• View Profile
Weird speed issue with Otari 5050
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »
I just finished building my Eros tape preamplifier and the first time I played my recently restored and upgraded MX5050 everything sounded like it was working fine except for the tape rubbing against a bent take up reel. I replaced the take up reel and now I cannot get the tape player to run at normal playback speed. The display says it is set on 15 ips. When I hit the play button it takes off at fast forward speed. Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? Am I missing a switch somewhere? Could I have blown a fuse?

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Weird speed issue with Otari 5050
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
When you press the play button is the pinch roller engaging and clamping the tape against the capstan?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline dkeithpeoples

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
Thanks. That might have been the problem. It is working today. It sounds wondrous. The combination of the Magnetic flux tape head with the Eros is incredible. I can't wait to play one of my Tape Project tapes but I need to figure out a better way to fast rewind. The method I used did not wrap the tape tight enough. What are the best practices for rewinding ?

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
If the tape is packing too loose the brakes may need adjusting.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »
Try cleaning (DeOxit) and exercising the Pitch Control, that even when off can cause speed issues.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
This is a common problem for all versions of the MX5050, cleaning the pitch control switch will give you better sleep at night knowing your deck will roll tape at a consistent speed.  :-)

Cheers
Alan