Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Weird speed issue with Otari 5050  (Read 5217 times)

Offline dkeithpeoples

• View Profile
Weird speed issue with Otari 5050
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »
I just finished building my Eros tape preamplifier and the first time I played my recently restored and upgraded MX5050 everything sounded like it was working fine except for the tape rubbing against a bent take up reel. I replaced the take up reel and now I cannot get the tape player to run at normal playback speed. The display says it is set on 15 ips. When I hit the play button it takes off at fast forward speed. Has anyone ever seen a problem like this? Am I missing a switch somewhere? Could I have blown a fuse?

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Weird speed issue with Otari 5050
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
When you press the play button is the pinch roller engaging and clamping the tape against the capstan?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline dkeithpeoples

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
Thanks. That might have been the problem. It is working today. It sounds wondrous. The combination of the Magnetic flux tape head with the Eros is incredible. I can't wait to play one of my Tape Project tapes but I need to figure out a better way to fast rewind. The method I used did not wrap the tape tight enough. What are the best practices for rewinding ?

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:10 PM »
If the tape is packing too loose the brakes may need adjusting.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »
Try cleaning (DeOxit) and exercising the Pitch Control, that even when off can cause speed issues.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
This is a common problem for all versions of the MX5050, cleaning the pitch control switch will give you better sleep at night knowing your deck will roll tape at a consistent speed.  :-)

Cheers
Alan