TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Sony APR-5000, Otari MX-50 & Otari MTR-15  (Read 27732 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Sony APR-5000, Otari MX-50 & Otari MTR-15
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
Before I make a move to purchase the Studer B67 I began checking around. I got a call from a radion station that has these three recorders available for sale:

1. Otari MX-50
2. Otari MTR-15
3. Sony APR-5000

I am fairly familiar with Otari 5050 recorders but not the two mentioned here. And I am not at all familiar with the Sony APR-5000 recorder. Does anyone have personal experience with any of these tape recorders especially the Otari MTR-15 or the MX-50? I would appreciate any feedback please. Thanks millions guys. And thank you my friends for the response you've provided regarding the Studer B-67. As always I do appreciate.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:08:30 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline skyguy

• View Profile
Re: Sony APR-5000, Otari MX-50 & Otari MTR-15
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
boy, all of those are great machines.  I think it depends on what you're doing with them.  The Otari MTR-15 deck is the latest and most sophisticated decks they made.  Auto alignment and such.  Also, the Sony has that as well.  I had a Sony APR-5003 and it was great, but God forbid it needs to be serviced!  Sony dumped all of the parts when it stopped making reel to reel machines. When I had to service it... I either had to do the work myself or send it to California for service.  There are only a few companies left that even deal with them because they were such beasts to work on. 

Come to think about it, I wouldn't mind picking that machine up.  My old machine went down and it was cost prohibitive to fix.  It would make a great parts machine!  If you don't get the Sony... I'd be interested.  Where is it?

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »
Hello Skyguy,

Welcome to this forum. It's a pleasure to have you here. Thanks for this note and input regarding these three tape recorders. I just called the radio station yesterday and left a voicemail message requesting someone call me ASAP.Initially I was told they might even have other tape recorders in storage for sale. Actually, began sending emails starting in December 2007 and still have not gotten a response from these people. This does not appear to be the conduct of people who want to sell unused tape recorders???

Once I get someone to contact me I will let you know what happens. There is another person who expressed interest in the Sony. However, in the last email he sent me he said he may not want it if it takes much longer.  Personally, I am looking at the Otari MTR-15. However, I would rather have a machine I can eventually put in a portable wooden case and sit it on a shelf. Do you know if this can be done with either Otari's? Also, is the Otari MX-50 as easy on tape and as automatic as the Otari MTR-15? I do understand that the Sony can be lifted up out of the cart once plastic covers are removed. I also understand that it has handles on both siides to permit easy lifting. Thanks much for your input. I appreciate very much.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:42:51 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:38:29 PM »
Hey Skyguy, regarding the Sony machines, if you've serviced them yourself, you probably have a pretty complete knowledge of sources and info. There is a pretty interesting running thread over on the DIY forum of the Tape Op message board (stellavox has several posts in it) about repair issues with Sonys (mostly JH110 though). There seem to be a number of "fans" there. You might want to check it out.http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=41102
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline skyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »
Thanks Bob and Steve!
Bob- I would appreciate the notice about the sony.  As for the Otaris... I really don't have terribly much experience with them personally.  I only what from researched and such.  The MX-50 are still pretty common.  The MTR-15 was definately a "mastering" type deck.  Pretty high end stuff.  As for servicing, I've heard that the parts for Otari machines can still be found.

Steve-
I have been part of the Yahoo group that Richard Hess started for about four years.  That group is by far the best source for info on Sony APR units.  A couple of the guys in the group were former design and service engineers!  The only reason I could do ANY work myself was due to their assistance.  I think it's an amazing resource.  I've seen the thread on Tape Op too.  If fact, I get a lot of great advice there as well.

I have the opportunity to get another deck (Tascam ATR-60 1/2" two track), but I have always had a special place in my heart for the Sony APR units.  Once Bob mentioned one for sale, it really made me want to forgo the Tascam and try and get another Sony APR 5002/3.  My buddy has one in his studio (that actually works) and I remain jealous. 

Cheers!
Brian

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
Hello Brian,

On Saturday I got an email from the point of contact at the radio station where the two Otari's and Sony tape recorders are. They finally informed me that before these recorders can be sold they have to be processed through certain protocol. Now I understand why it's taking so long. However, Richard Hess had asked about the Sony, so I want to make certain he is no longer interested. If that's the case I will be more than happy to pass any info on to you. Is that OK with you sir?

Bob W.

Offline skyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
Sure!  Ironically, I had asked the whole (Richard's) group if anyone was selling one.  Richard said he would keep an eye out for me.  I'll talk to him and see what his intentions are.  Thanks again.

Brian

ceved

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 08:58:07 AM »
Bob,
Did you ever move on the Otari MTR-15?
If it is still available I may be interested.
Please let me know.
Thanks,

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am still waiting for word from the radio station here regarding the Sony APR-5000, Otari MX-50 and Otari MTR-15. I just today sent off another email to my points of contact requesting a timeline when the machines would be put up for sale. I am waiting to see what feedback I get.

I must admit that this has been a rather exasperating experience for me. I had no idea it would take so long to put these recorders on the market. Actually, there may be additional recorders for sale according to the initial email I got back several weeks ago.

Brian,

I still have you in mind regarding the Sony and will keep you in the loop. Let's hope we get some word soon.  Once they give me the OK, I will make arrangements to go and see all of the recorders and assess their conditions as best I can. Many of the guys on this forum have given me enough stuff to look for so that it at least appears I know what I'm doing (smile).

Charles,

I certainly want to see the Otari MTR-15 and have a keen interest in that machine. As a matter of fact, it does anything a Studer can do and maybe some things better or maybe not. However, it's a great machine according to what I've read. So, if and when it becomes available, I will take a hard look and if satisfied with condition and price, I intend to purchase it. If I donot, you will be the first to know and have access at it. These reel to reel tape recorders seem so close and yet..... Patience is the key here.

Bob W.

ceved

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
Bob,
We will keep a good thought, perhaps they have two MTR 15s both still in their sealed cartons with the packing slips in the little plastic sleeves made out to WBAL, or WMMR.  Something realistic like that would be sweet/likely eh?
Otherwise I will go up the road to ATR Services and get that 102 I have been avoiding.
Happy hunting

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
Hello Charles,

What an imagination, but just maybe ....  This radio station appears to be the only one in my area that still have reel to reel recorders to sell if they ever get around to putting them on the market. Maybe they know how hungry I am to see these recorders and want to torture me by making me wait.

I was first notified by a station employee after I called on January 8, 2008 that there were three and possibly more recorders available for sale. I have been waiting since that time for these people to put the machines up for sale. Let's hold on a little longer and see what happens.

Bob W.

Offline skyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
Thank again Bob for keeping me in mind.  I really appreciate all of the leg work you're doing on this.  There are something about pro-audio guys and drummers that makes them just so cool.  I always joked at the drum clinics that I used to go to that if you stuck 100 rock guitarists in a room together, they would all be fighting within two minutes!  : )

Offline finneybear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:28:29 PM »
I have both APR-5003 and MTR-15. Personally I will rank APR-5003 over MTR-15. MTR-15 has a killer transport, has Dolby HX yet just does not sound as good as APR.
I think the head amp design is the key. APR's curve is absolutely flat at 15ips as well. It runs bias at 400KHz, makes Dolby HX unnecessary. 

Parts wise, I actually find out MTR-15 is not any better than APR. Both are super hard to find.

Sure, nothing beats a Studer A820/A80 with butterfly heads... okay okay, Ampex ATR, old Scully are up there.

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 07:04:45 PM »
Finneybear,

I appreciate getting this input from you regarding the Otari and Sony recorders. I have been leaning towards the purchase of the Otari if and when I get the call from the radio station that they are availble for sale. However, although I am aware that parts are almost impossible to come by for the Sony, I thought that would not be the case for the Otari. Well, you live and learn.

Fact is, were it not for the people on this forum, some of us would not make the kind of decisions that would benefit us over the long haul. Thanks again.

Bob W.

Offline finneybear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:20 PM »
Well, Bob, if you talk about heads, basic transport parts, conversion kits such as 1/2" to 1/4" or 1/4" to 1/2",
John of Sprague Magnetics or JRF can help you on both APR and MTR-15. Electronics wise, as far as you keep
firmware EPROM backups, minor repairs can be easily done. For other mechnical parts, part machines are
the only way to go. It's possible to get Otari parts directly from Japan yet the source has not been reliable.
Again, John may hunt for certain parts for you, and I have found out APR is easier than MTR-15.

Talk about MTR-15, it's the most sophisticated machine I have come across. Mechanical parts are not as good as Studers
yet the electronics are simply second to none. Very well assembled with lots of attenion paid to details.
The downside is the head amp is all OPs with lengthy signal paths, even worse than A820. This hurts the sound quality.
The heads are hard permalloy... great sounding yet dont last long...

Don't be scared off by my words on the MTR. It's more reliable than APR, newer than APR so it shall last longer.
You can have someone do OP swaps then it will sound superb!

In either case, if you can get a good deal, I'd say either APR or MTR-15 will be a great pick.