TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Revox B77 mkII advice needed  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Scar972

• View Profile
Revox B77 mkII advice needed
« on: September 26, 2015, 07:48:03 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and need advice on turning my Revox B77 mkII to play Tape Project tapes.
My deck is the standard 3.75/7.5 ips version so I know I will have to mod it to play 15 ips tapes, I was thinking of adding the Bottlehead Eros Tape Head preamp to give me the option of switching to IEC eq., but what must be done to the Revox in order to use the Eros Tape Head preamp? Thanks in advanced!

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Revox B77 mkII advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
You will need to rewire the playback head to a pair of jacks. Then those jacks can be cabled to the Eros. I have not done this conversion on a Revox so I can't help with the details, but basically there should be wires that connect the playback head to the internal repro amp and those would be rerouted to the jacks.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
IIRC, the B77 is a 1/4 track machine unless special ordered with 1/2 track heads.
If that's the case, you will also need a different playback(repro) head.

If you're not familiar with the different track configurations on the heads, there is info included in the "Beginners Guide" located in a sticky above the General Forum (toward the end of that thread).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Scar972

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:13:55 AM »
My Revox is a 2 track machine, I also have a Otari MX5050 B2HD, will need to decide which machine to go with if I have it modded for use with the Eros.