TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Turning your digital files into the sound of 15ips or 30ips tapes  (Read 5030 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
I found this from Izotope, a well respected company making professional audio editing software. This is about Ozone 7. I have been using their RX series (currently using RX3 Advanced) in my record and tape ripping project over the past five+ years.  Larry

Analog tape’s most desirable qualities at your fingertips for digital music production.

The Vintage Tape module in Ozone 7 Advanced is modeled to emulate the clean and flat Studer A810 tape machine — known for its excellent frequency response — that was commonly used in classic mastering studios. Take advantage of that analog tone for masters that sound more musical with added dimension, fatness, and depth.
The controls in Vintage Tape let you access the qualities of tape that are most relevant for mastering and adjust them to get the right results for your track.
•   Input Drive: A lower Input Drive setting offers less saturation and a higher setting will incorporate more of the gentle distortion that magnetic tape is treasured for.
•   Bias and Speed Controls: A negative bias value will push more energy at the higher frequencies, while a positive bias value will attenuate higher frequencies.
•   Odd and Even Harmonics: Mix the authentic odd harmonic saturation of a calibrated mastering machine with even harmonics to taste.
•   Emphasis Controls: Add a gentle peak in the rich areas, get a high-end shimmer, or dial in a gentle roll-off.
Learn how to get started with the Vintage Tape module.
Haven’t tried Ozone 7 Advanced yet? Download the free 10-day trial.

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/blog/tips-tutorials/2015/101/how-to-add-tape-saturation-to-your-mastering-chain-with-ozone-7-advanced/?&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Mailchimp&utm_campaign=2015+Ozone+7+Launch&utm_content=1+Day+Reminder&utm_term=Music+Production
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Turning your digital files into the sound of 15ips or 30ips tapes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
Hey Larry, great to see your post.
It might seem kind of weird that someone would like to add the distortions and non-linear artifacts of tape to a nice pristine recording but there is a huge demand for just that.
I think a lot of the interest comes from folks who produce music completely "in the box" meaning 100% digital.
I have to admit that I'm pretty deep into the rabbit hole of music technology (3rd year studying it) and write and produce with virtual instruments with a virtual score into a virtual recording platform.
These emulations are meant to help make sterile sounding recordings sound more human and while I use them sometimes, I know that there is no magic bullet.
There are some that not only allow you to choose the tape speed, but some let you switch between tape width, tape formula and even the machines.
These tape emulations have been around for a while and I believe that the 1/2" ATR that Romo has was modeled and can be bought.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
Universal Audio sells a tape emulation plugin. They modeled my ATR/de Paravicini machine for the one inch setting.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
I prefer an alternative approach to modeling a tape recorder
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.