TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: bypassing preamp on otari mx 5050  (Read 6832 times)

Offline tfrei

• View Profile
bypassing preamp on otari mx 5050
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:07:52 AM »
Hi.  I'm new to this forum.  I'm looking all over for some guides on bypassing the otari mx 5050 internal (stock) preamp.  I've done various searches on this forum, but I don't see any specific guides.  IF there is one, could we put it as a "sticky" in this section of the forum.  This section would be the obvious first place to go for this type of information, I think.

posted by Tom Frei, a newbie who just bought a Otari mx 5050.
Tom Frei, working on an Otari mx-5050 rig.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: bypassing preamp on otari mx 5050
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
Shawn Phelps did the original MX-5050 mod at Bottlehead. I'll ask him if maybe he can take a pic or two of his deck showing which cables you need to move.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline tfrei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:57 AM »
Thank you.  That is probably the same Shawn Phelps who is building my new eros tape head (once he gets the kit).  I think I'm also going to look for a manual.  Am I right that there are two manuals: a user manual and a service manual?

Tom Frei, working on an Otari mx-5050 rig.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
Hey tom,

Welcome to the forum.
There are a number of manuals and schematic packs for the Otari.
You should be able to download them all (including some you don't need) from a link located in our "Links" sticky.
That sticky is located above the General forum.
The post that contains the links in #19.
Be sure and save those manuals. They were missing in action and a member here was kind enough to bring them together and make them available.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades