Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: bypassing preamp on otari mx 5050  (Read 6839 times)

Offline tfrei

• View Profile
bypassing preamp on otari mx 5050
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:07:52 AM »
Hi.  I'm new to this forum.  I'm looking all over for some guides on bypassing the otari mx 5050 internal (stock) preamp.  I've done various searches on this forum, but I don't see any specific guides.  IF there is one, could we put it as a "sticky" in this section of the forum.  This section would be the obvious first place to go for this type of information, I think.

posted by Tom Frei, a newbie who just bought a Otari mx 5050.
Tom Frei, working on an Otari mx-5050 rig.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: bypassing preamp on otari mx 5050
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
Shawn Phelps did the original MX-5050 mod at Bottlehead. I'll ask him if maybe he can take a pic or two of his deck showing which cables you need to move.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline tfrei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:57 AM »
Thank you.  That is probably the same Shawn Phelps who is building my new eros tape head (once he gets the kit).  I think I'm also going to look for a manual.  Am I right that there are two manuals: a user manual and a service manual?

Tom Frei, working on an Otari mx-5050 rig.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
Hey tom,

Welcome to the forum.
There are a number of manuals and schematic packs for the Otari.
You should be able to download them all (including some you don't need) from a link located in our "Links" sticky.
That sticky is located above the General forum.
The post that contains the links in #19.
Be sure and save those manuals. They were missing in action and a member here was kind enough to bring them together and make them available.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades