Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Missing rubber band on the Tape Counter Roller ? OTARI BTR-5  (Read 5098 times)

Offline hafrse

• Hani George Freiwat
    • View Profile
Missing rubber band on the Tape Counter Roller ? OTARI BTR-5
« on: February 18, 2016, 03:49:27 PM »
Hi,

I have newly replaced the 2 bearings   on the counter roller since the old bearings were old and sounds a lot. The new bearings (made by SKF) are little stiffer since they are new but now instead I have a problem after the replace where the roller counter is slipping on high speed spool and the digital counter will report slower rate than the actual  rate  .
On the old bearings the counter was correct since the roller was much  freely rotated than the new bearings.

My question here , should it be a rubber band around the roller on the tape track of the roller ?
Or, could it be a worn surface on the tape track on the roller ?

Attached a picture of the counter roller.
Attached also a stock picture of a Studer B67 where a rubber band is around the counter roller
Last pictures show the roller dissassembled from the BTR-5

Thanks,

George
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:04:18 PM by hafrse »
Hani George Freiwat

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Missing rubber band on the Tape Counter Roller ? OTARI BTR-5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Sounds like the new bearing needs some adjustment or lubricant, or both.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline hafrse

• Hani George Freiwat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing rubber band on the Tape Counter Roller ? OTARI BTR-5
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:17:09 AM »
Sounds like the new bearing needs some adjustment or lubricant, or both.

You are right, it seems to be a bearing issue, there should not be any rubber band.
The replacement bearing I am using now is a SKF 607-2Z-C3 bearing and it is probably wrong type of bearing, the original one is a NMB SSR1970ZZ which I can not find at my site.

I have talked with the SKF bearing supplier today  and they said that there is a special SKF bearing SKF: Energy Efficient (E2) bearings (Low friction and high performance) and recommended me to use/try that instead since they run more freely with the same load thank the standard one.

The only reason I need the digital counter to be accurate in high speed spool is for the very useful search function the machine has.

Will get the new bearings (2) on Monday and give it a try .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 08:24:33 AM by hafrse »
Hani George Freiwat