Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Teac 3340s - Teac a3340s  (Read 9406 times)

Offline caleb7

• View Profile
Teac 3340s - Teac a3340s
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the Teac-3340s and the Teac-a3340s as far as recording. Are these 2 machines compatible? Can you continue work you started on the a3340s with the 3340s? Thank You for any information you can provide.

Offline GeoffB17

• View Profile
Re: Teac 3340s - Teac a3340s
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »
Hello,

I suspect these are the same machine, just that some people don't bother to use the preceeding 'A'.  The official designation is A-3340S, but you often see the machine referred to as 3340S

I have the 3340 (i.e. the A-3340) and the same thing applies.   However, I have seen some mention about a 3340 as being different, but looking for pics, it's just the same machine.

There's pretty good coverage about these on the web, so if you keep searching, you should get clearer info, but I repeat, I think the 3340S and the A-3340S are the same machine.

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
One extra possibility just been suggested - elsewhere on the web.

Maybe 3340 could be the Japanese designation, and A-3340 would be the export (American) variant (which may also be the European variant as well ?)

Could be?

In which case I would expect there to no other differences except power requirements.   Any implications this might have for general performance should be very minor, and probably not any sort of issue.

Anyone know better?

Geoff

Offline GeoffB17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
Further to the above, I've now had info from someone who has BOTH 3340S and A-3340S.

He confirms that both machines are the same, apart from:

The A-3340S has a 'cue' lever, which brings the pinch roller away from the capstan (for editing/cue), while the 3340S does not.

So, there should be no problem interchanging tapes between the two, in fact all the 4 channel variants should be OK in that regard?

Geoff

Offline gunnar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:34:01 AM »
Small note:
A similar phenomena occurs for those who happen to buy the "native american" version (117V) of the A-3340S for export to a 50Hz country. One could assume it would suffice with something like a 220 to 110V transformer but the problem will be mains frequency.
The capstan motor are synchronous in principle and runs in exact sync with the mains frequency, slower on 50 Hz. And even with a
step down transformer the deck will still be fed 50 Hz thus the machine will run too SLOW.

There exist versions of the 3340 that allow selecting mains voltages. Those also employ a dual-groove pulley on the capstan motor so that by allowing the rubber belt to go in the smaller groove this compensates for the slower running motor.

The single voltage version of the 3340 (most of the units on the north american market) were cost optimised in production so TEAC did away with the dual groove pulley, 50 Hz switch, voltage selector and used a transformer with less windings.

So converting such a 3340 for use in 50 Hz land requires both sourcing a dual groove pulley and changing the transformer (or use an external step down one).  Good to know for those outside the U.S tempted by these 4 channel icons on Ebay.
The 50/60 Hz switch is also a thing to study in a conversion. It switches in/out and extra capacitor to change an electrolyte capacitor used with a reel motor to have it work in harmony with the mains frequency and this needs to be rewired also in a 50 Hz conversion of the 117V version.

Offline skywaveTDR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 05:17:42 AM »
I think most all this information is correct here. The A-3340S can be had in international version and the USA Domestic (TCA) version. What is not mentioned here is that after all these years the machines as in the A series decks with AC motor seem to be slowing down. Why is it that I see these machines running at 2940 Hz or around that and make corrections while no one else seems to? Well I had some custom made pulley made for the motors so that the correct speed could be had from these motors slowing down. Now in 2022 my machines stop making then so I have to find another. As I restore these machines I see the speed problem all the more and of the people I consult in the motor business they can not give me too much of a reason for this other than shorted windings. There was on the A6300 nothing that increased the speed in this machine that I did except add the new pulley which then brought the speed up to 3000Hz where 3K to 3015Hz seems to be acceptable. Now I am today in 2023 looking to get new PCB's made for the Sync Head boards that everyone likes to crush in. The 6 pole switches can not be found either so it seems to restore these decks there is always a challenge- besides finding new heads.  As I read hear about the Tape Project and modified machines, I must say I am impressed with what is done and written about them. I only wish they would release some Gordon Lightfoot tapes as he was not just some musician.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »
I only wish they would release some Gordon Lightfoot tapes as he was not just some musician.

Suggestions such as this--a very good one, by the way--are welcome in the Suggestion Box.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject