TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Technics RS 1500 & 1506  (Read 28578 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Technics RS 1500 & 1506
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »
My friends, Here is my question. What is the difference between a Technics RS1500 and RS 1506? They appear to be similar physically in the photos i've seen. Is one preferred over the other? In other words what benefits does one have over the other? Finally, how do they handle tape? Some recorders are brutal especially on older tapes in the re-wind and fast forward modes. Are they on a par with the Studer machines? Thanks for your help on this.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:03:15 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
Re: Technics RS 1500 & 1506
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:51:52 PM »
The 1500 has 2 track play and record plus 4 track playback. The 1506 has 4 track play and record plus 2 track playback. It is my understanding that this is the only difference.

Gary
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:41:07 AM »
Gary's pretty much right. If your interested in parts differences, the head block has a different part number, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're milled differently. I used to own a Revox A77 but never a Studer. My Technics is gentler than the A77 but I'm sure that the Studers would beat the RS1500 in tape handling.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:19:46 AM »
Correct, the different numbered head blocks themselves are physically identical. However one should note that the positions of the playback heads are revered on the two versions, swapping the two track and four track playback heads between position one and position four. Which is the best sounding position? Paul has suggested that position one would be the most logical as the tape has traveled over the fewest parts. I have not done enough research yet to offer any actual data.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:54:33 AM »
Doc B and Steve,

Thank you so much for this input. So basically, you're saying that the only difference is the head block on the Technic RS 1500 & 1506? Can they be interchanged? I assume that  either machine is OK for the Tape Project.

It's interesting you say the tape handling is better on the Studers. I had thought that myself, but was not sure. I am going to see a Technics RS 1506 on Saturday. The guy says it's in pristine shape (smile) but has been stored for the past 3 years. He says that was the last time he used it, but will pull it out to prepare for Saturday's meeting. I strongly suggested he do that. However, he told me it was 2 track record/play and 4 track playback. You would think he would know his own recorder. Thanks again guys.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:43 PM »
You could probably plug a 1506/1500 headblock into either machine. It would just be that the switch that controls which playback head is in use, would be labeled backwards on the mismatched block.
Interesting question Doc. Is the sound better with the longer length of non-stabilized tape before or after the head? I'm sure there's some law of physics that would tell us that.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for all of the great input. There is a gentleman who has a Technics RS 1506 for $175. He says it's in good shape and is a 9 out of a possible 10 in regards to its condition. I wanted to make sure that it could be use as an appropriate recorder for the "Tape Project".

It's not a RS 1500 but based on what you guys have said, it is a useful recorder and that was my primary concern. Since I don't recall ever seeing the RS 1506 come up in any discusions I thought I'd better ask some questions here before I move to purchase this tape recorder. I will take my magic lite magnifying glass with me this weekend as I look in every nook and cranny of this recorder (smile). I hope this is a good deal and not in disrepair as the Studer B-67.

I am still waiting on word from a local AM radio station so that I can take a look at several recorders they have for sale. I will keep you guys in the loop on this.

Bob W.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
Bob,

If it powers up and pulls tape, get over there as fast as you can and buy it! That is a steal for a running 1506.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
Doc B,

I plan to. We have an appointment for this Saturday. I plan to be there with a smile and bells on (smile). Thank you.

Bob W.

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 12:37:21 PM »
Well gentleman,

As older people use to say, "don't count your eggs before they hatch".  I must admit I was still concerned whether the deal would go through as planned. I drove over the the gentleman's home in a quaint part of Baltimore County. When I arrived he had the Technic RS 1506 set up and recording. He has a fatastic playback system so I was able to listen to all aspects of playback and record. All of the buttons and VU meters seem to work well. The tape heads looked very good with minimum wear. The recorder was as quiet as a mouse or nat (smile). The one thing I noticed, this machine is not that gentle at the end of the tape during fast forward or rewind. That being said, it appears to be an excellent tape deck and I can see why it was chosen over others to be the deck of choice for the Tape Project.

The seller is a consultant who works out of his home. The amazing thing was that we both love jazz and spent a long time talking about John Coltrane, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Reggie Workman, Philly Joe Jones and many others. Of course he had never heard of Maria Schnieder so I had to make him aware of the great female talent. He is also an audion enthusiast and we discussed various audio stuff to enclude Krell, Conrad Johnson, Audio Research and more.

Bottom line, I walked out with a pristine Technic RS-1506 for $200. Initially I thought the price was $150. However, I still think I got a great deal especial considering the condition of the recorder. Plus he gave me 10 (10inch) reels of tapes with pristine TDK reels. I plan to keep most of the tapes because some of them were "on location" recordings of local jazz groups.

Now, if I can just sell this house and get anywhere near the price I would like to get, I can then get the recorder over to Doc B and Paul and have them do their thing to it. I wanted to keep everyone here in the loop on this and I feel very good about this transaction. Thanks for all of the advice. As always I do appreciate.

Bob Williams
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:48:23 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
Fantastic Bob! You got a great deal there. I think your patience has really paid off. Even 3 years ago when I bought mine, that would have been a great deal.
 Regarding the tape handling, I would guess that you end up with some slack when you go to stop after ff or rewind? If so, it's the brake pads. This is very common to the point of saying that it is all inclusive. Kind of the weak point of the whole deck. Doc has been doing lots of experimenting with different brake pad materials (they come stock with felt that, even when new, are far from optimum) and will get them working great. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with using it as long as the tape doesn't spill (more than an inch or so of slack). Just clean the tape path real well ( the headblock come off with the removal of the 3 silver hex head screws, then pull straight out. There's a multi-pin connector that plugs into the deck. Just be careful not to scratch the capstan when you pull it off. With the block off, you can really see what your doing when you clean it). If you take off the headblock, there's a black plastic cover under there. If you take that off, you can just get to the back of the switch. The switch has silver contacts but it's pretty common for it to be dirty so get some DeOxit spray (D5) and give the switch a squirt and switch it back and forth about 10 times and you probably won't have to worry about that for another 10 years or so (if it's dirty, one channel or other will be intermittent in on position or the other). Get yourself a service manual. I don't think there's a different one for the 1506 (my 1500 manual has a single page added for the 1506 and all that is is a diagram of the headblock with the different head position and wiring). and the manual comes in 2 volumes.
Have fun. I love mine and Doc is improving the breed constantly.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:35:34 AM »
Good morning Steve,

Thanks for the support and input here. Actually, there is no major movement of tape after I hit the stop button from rewind or fast forward. My comment regarding tape handling has to do with the fact that the recorder does not slow down as the end of the tape is approached. So, for some older tapes breakage is a real possibility.

It appears that this fine gentleman did not use the recorder that much. He only had ten (10) ten inch reels of tape and only appeared to use each once to record jazz. I plan to play each of them today.

You are right my friend, patience certainly did pay off here. But, I can tell you I was worried right up until I arrived at his home and after much discussion about jazz, classical music and audio equipment, gave him the $200 and took the tape recorder to my SUV. It was only then did I breath a sigh of relief (smile). I kept thinking, "I can't do too much talking because he might decide not to sell". And I'm sorry fellas but I did not mention this fine forum. Surely he would have decided not to sell.  This Technic RS 1506 is a 9 out of a possible 10. I am very happy to own it and at a fantastic price according to you guys.

Bob W.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25:50 AM »
I'm off work this week, but I'll pipe in here about the brakes. Part of the issue is gunk collecting on the felt and the brake drum and changing the friction coefficient. One easy thing to do to keep things running well is to take off the top panel and clean the drums by wiping them with a little alcohol. The next step is more difficult - adjusting the brake pressure. The procedure is described in the service manual. It's a little tricky and I don't think the method of setting described (setting an arbitrary gap between a pivot pin and the frame) is accurate enough because it doesn't allow for varying pad thickness or surface condition. The best way to get the brake tension right is to use a tension meter and a half full 7" reel of tape. You adjust the brake tension by moving the brake assembly and measuring tension, repeating until it's right. This is the kind of thing that might be best left to the advanced hobbyist or a competent tech.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
Re: Technics RS 1506
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
Most of you know I've been able to obtain a Techincs RS 1506 in excellent condition. I am looking to purchase an owners & service manual as soon as possible. However, I notice that this recorder is very hard on old pre-recorded tapes. If I am not careful it will brake old tapes. It does not slow down in re-wind which causes problems. Also, it does not pack tape on re-wind evenly. Can anyone offer advice regarding these problems? Again, this recorder is like new and for $200 I could not have asked for better. As noted, I just have a few concerns. Thanks all.

Bob W.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »
You should be able to get a pair of service manuals (comes in 2 volumes) for an RS1500/06 from stereo manuals. It doesn't matter if it's not a 1506 manual since the only difference is 1 page that has the parts numbers that are particular for the 1506. You can't order them from Panasonic anyway but if you have to have it, let me know with a PM. Some older tapes will never have a nice tape pack on rewind and sometimes, not a great one on play. Sometimes it's the reel itself or it could be the tape. If you get all the adjustments in the tape path right and the the motors and tensioners are working correctly and clean it should get a nice pack even on rewind with new tape. Regarding the rewind issue, these and most pro-sumer decks of this era won't slow down before the end of the tape. The machines with micro processing capabilities can. You need to watch the reel as it empties and slow it down before the end. That's one of the reasons for leader. When the end of the tape slaps against the deck, floor, walls and ceiling (just joking on those last 3) you can imagine what that does to the recorded oxide. If your having tape breakage from playing or rewinding/ff you shouldn't after you've adjust tape tension, braking, guides and start/stop timing, even with old acetate tapes. I've never had a single tape broken by my machine in the 3 years I've owned it and play 1950's acetates all the time. I don't have many RCA acetates and those have the worst rep for that sort of thing (which is why I've never gone whole hog after them so far, I'll save collecting those for much latter).
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades