Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Technic RS-1506 recording problems  (Read 7373 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Technic RS-1506 recording problems
« on: February 17, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
My friends,

I am a frequent listner of our local FM classical music station. At 8am each Sunday choral music is presented. Today (Sunday) I wanted to record John Adams "Harmonium" which is an awesome piece of choral music. I began to record this work with the 1506 set on source. I then left to go to Barnes & Nobles. Upon returning I rewound the tape to play back the music and there was noting recorded.

I am still waiting for my manual to come in so don't know what could be wrong here. Several weeks ago I recorded another choral music show with great results. I don't recall doing anything differently. Does anyone know what could be the problem? By the way, I did clean the tape heads and all moving parts including the pinch rollers. I made sure the recorder was in the tape and not source position. I also made sure that my pre-amp was also in the tape position. Thanks all.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:08:59 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technic RS-1506 recording problems
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »
If you have you deck connected to the tape loop of your preamp, switching it to tape inputs the tape recorder outputs. The tape loop gets whatever signal source that is selected. In this case, you probably should have switched your preamp to whatever input your FM is connected to (Aux). The record mode switches on the far right of the lower panel need to be switched to "on" also. I always do a test recording (just a couple of seconds) so I can play it back to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. Have you ever tried the timer start? I haven't but once you've done your test, that might be a good way to record radio programs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:43:19 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:18:35 PM »
Steve, this is good information. I will go back to see what I might do differently based on what you have suggested here. As I stated earlier, I can't recall doing anything differently than when I made my first recording. Thanks again for your quick response. I am more than happy that you have and use your 1500 series Technic recorder. I have an expert I can turn to until and even after I get the manual.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
Sorry to hear about your situation. I always do test before reocording as well. BTW user Manuals for the 1500+1506 models can be downloaded freely here:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals.php?man=Technics

Steve

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »
Thank you so much. I just went to the link and downloaded the maual of operating instructions. Even if I don't get any possitive results, I will greatly benefit from having this useful information. Thank you again so much.

Bob W.