TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Which Tape machine for saturation and compression FX?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline digiorgio

• View Profile
Which Tape machine for saturation and compression FX?
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »
Hello,

I plan to buy my first stereo tape machine, the purpose is to use it mainly as a studio effect for recording, say, drumloops, bass grooves, vocals, and so on in order to add that "tape sound" and then to bring my tracks back to my DAW.

I have the possibility to buy a Revox A77 in very good shape with full service done and alignment to the tape I want (probably RMG SM911).

Is it a good choice for what I want to do with a tape machine? Does B77, PR99, or other brands like Studer would be better (ie. strong tape sonic character but better S/N for instance)?

Thanks.

Offline JeremyStarseed

• View Profile
Re: Which Tape machine for saturation and compression FX?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:08:06 AM »
For tape effects, I'd go for 456 tape...and in my opinion, you could do worse than combine the sound of tape sat with the sound of tube stages...for a fuller distortion...i.e bite and fur ;)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »
I would suggest that if you want the sound of a studio tape machine, buy a studio tape machine like an AG440 or A80. Using 456 will be a very dicey proposition because the majority of it suffers from sticky shed. I would lean toward buying current production tape from ATR Magnetics or RMGI/Pyral for recording anything of value.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:05:35 AM »
MCI's like the JH-110 series have been popular for this - However they are BIG - do you have the space?

A77's are another thing entirely.  You'd have to "play with it" to see if you can get the "sound" you want.  And stock their basic sound "quality"doesn't approach the pro decks.

Charles