TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Revox B77 conversion to 1/4 track  (Read 5137 times)

Offline warren

• View Profile
Revox B77 conversion to 1/4 track
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:47:11 PM »
Hello to members from a newbie,

I wish to convert or exchange a half/track 7.5/15ips stereo B77 machine to a 1/4 track 3.75/7.5 stereo machine and procuring all parts required appears to be a prohibitively expensive way to go! I understand this is not a buy and sell forum so just looking for some easy answer. Many thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,
Warren
ps. I live in Australia

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Revox B77 conversion to 1/4 track
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:40:40 AM »
Warren,

I opine that you forget trying to modify your high-speed, 2 track machine.  It is much less "common" and more valuable than the slow-speed, quarter- track version.  Sell yours and buy the other.  And while looking for the other "B" you could also look for a PR99, the successor to the A/B77.  You might just get lucky!

Charles
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:45:05 AM by stellavox »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
I'm with Charles on this.
I would also suggest getting an Otari 5050 series machine that has both 2 track and 1/4 track playback heads. I'm sure they're just as abundant in Oz as they are here in the US so you should be able to get a good deal on a nice one.
Sure beats the insane shipping costs you guys endure down there!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline warren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:04:56 AM »
Many thanks Charles and Ironbutt. That sounds like good advice! Right on re shipping costs to the US. They used to be reasonable but not any more probably due to increased security costs. I'm new to this forum so not sure of protocol. Is my reply directed to both responses to my inquiry?

Best regards,
Warren