Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Tp 029 and 030  (Read 12593 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Tp 029 and 030
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »
When can we expect to hear about them? Been quite some time!

Saludos
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Tp 029 and 030
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »
One recording we hope to release was done just a few months ago and will be getting edited this fall. That one will probably be ready for release by year's end. Paul has been out of the country the past month. Regarding classic recordings from major labels - he had requested a couple of titles before he left, and will be working on them when he returns.

In the meantime we have been working to keep all of our currently licensed titles in stock. It's a very good time for anyone who might want to pick up a title or two from their wish list.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks Dan
Xavier Cortes

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
I had lunch with Paul last week and he spilled the beans on TP29 and 30. 

TP29 is coming out shortly (according to Dan) and is a Reference Recording album, Mozart Piano Concerti 21 and 24 played by the late, great, pianist Eugene Istomin in the mid '90's with Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony.  It was a record of the month at Stereophile. 

TP30 is a brand new release of the two Brahms String Sextets, played by the recently disbanded Cypress String Quartet and guest viola and cello.  They recorded it at Skywalker on tape this year.  It is in the initial stages of being edited.

Both albums are around 60 minutes each, so the tapes will be quite full. 

I never heard Istomin, who died in 2003.  I have several recordings (including the HRx version of the Mozart Concerti).  He played with Isaac Stern and Leonard Rose in the Stern-Rose-Istomin piano trio on Columbia, back in the '60's.  One bit of trivia - he married Pablo Casals's widow, who has outlived both of them.

I know the Cypress Quartet and their engineer, Mark Willsher, who taught me how to use Pyramix software.  He invited my wife Pearl and me to spend a day with them at Skywalker Ranch when they recorded the Barber String Quartet a few years ago.  The Cypress had played in my wife's concert series at UCSF.  One interesting coincidence.  The violist of the group, Ethan Finer, looked familiar to me. Turns out he and my daughter learned Suzuki violin together 30 years ago when they were both little kids.

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
Larry, that's great info - much appreciated.  I didn't realize that anyone was still making analog recordings in the mid-90s? 

Also, I am sure there is a great story about the Cypress Quartet, et al, recordings.  I am assuming that this was an old fashioned analog recording - i.e., on tape - as well.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »
BTW - receiving one of these before Christmas would be terrific!
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »
Hi Tom, Keith Johnson continued to do R2R recordings with his special tape recorder, into the mid '90's even though only the CD version was released (Exotic Dances is another one). Not sure when he stopped doing tape recordings.  Paul has transferred some to vinyl, along with some of Keith's digital recordings.  TP, of course, is sticking with those with analogue tape masters only.

Larry

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
Thanks, Larry.  Any word on what the TP gang used for the Brahms sessions?

By the way, they mentioned several years ago they wanted to do something live and now it has happened - although I had hoped we all would be invited as a live audience - sort of a Waltz for Debby ambience.  I expected they would do a jazz or roots type of recording = the Brahms is totally unexpected and very welcome.  Now about that jazz or roots, with us as a live audience....hell, I volunteer to mix the martinis!  Well, only if I can do them my way....gin, very dry, straight up, with olives. Shaken, not stirred.

Thomas Ream

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
At the Cypress sessions we were given an analog feed to Paul's 1" ATR from the Skywalker Sound console. Mark Willshire was producer and Leslie Ann Jones was the recording engineer, Dann Thompson house engineer. Paul was of course the chief tape op and Michael took that duty over for one day as well. I could only stay for four of the 5 session days and when I left there had been around 18 hours of material recorded that will need to be edited. My main job was keeping all the boxes of tape out of the way when people went down the hallway into the machine room. I think we brought something like 2 dozen reels.

Re live session recordings, I recorded Jacqui Naylor and Art Khu at Bottlehead last year, but had some technical problems. So we are going to give that a shot again on December 8th.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c8d2d0b413a3ade3618d07d75&id=19754ee0e8

We just announced this show yesterday and half the tickets are already sold. I'm hoping to host more live recording events at Bottlehead in the coming year.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »
The Mozart concerto recording was Stereophile's recording of the month in May 1996:

http://www.stereophile.com/recordingofthemonth/748/index.html#kj2OIzRJEiEx91iH.97

Also listed in records to die for the following review.  And while there is no Fanfare review, Michael Ullman had this on his "want list" for 1996, though without commentary.

Looking forward to it - IMO, after the operas, Mozart's greatest body of work is represented by the piano concertos.
Thomas Ream

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
Hey Guys!
Just want to say that I received the Mozart tapes the other day.
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen yet but I will this weekend.

What a great holiday surprise!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
Lucky dude!  I think I am at least 50 in line behind you!
Thomas Ream

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »
TP-029 has begun shipping. We've gotten just a few copies out with more to follow soon. Once we have all of the Series 3 subscriber albums shipped we will be listing the album for sale on the TP website.

TP-030 is nearing completion of the editing phase.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
I got my TP-29 Friday or Saturday (didn't see it until Saturday morning).  My Doshi is out for an upgrade, so I have to wait a week to listen.  Both concerti are nearly a half hour long each, so the tape reels are very full!

Larry

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
Got mine today. Listened to No. 21. What a treat!
Xavier Cortes