Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Phase Shift capacitors and motor problems - Studer A80  (Read 8364 times)

Offline 21doors

• View Profile
Phase Shift capacitors and motor problems - Studer A80
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:27:31 AM »
Hello,
This is my first post, I want to thank the owners of this site bringing this to existence. A very valued resource!
I started my journey into tape recording last spring when I bought a Studer A80 MkII 24 track. Once I finally got it running, I fell in love. It sounds so much better than my digital setup. . It needs recapping though, and the first thing is the phase shift / motor capacitors. The caps look original, and it developed a problem where it is stopping in the middle of playback. I hit play and nothing. But if I wait for 10 minutes and hit play, she'll work great for about a minute, then stop again. Am I right in thinking bad cap? Also when I change the 20uf motor cap, does the capacitor need to build up a charge, or will it work immediately? Any knowledge you can offer is greatly appreciated as the manual doesn't have a troubleshooting section.
Thank you,
Chris Amato

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Phase Shift capacitors and motor problems - Studer A80
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Hi Chris and welcome.

My suggestion is to get yourself subscribed to the Studer list, through Recordist.com. The list itself is a bit arcane, being an e-mail style setup. But there's tons of info and lots of knowledgeable folks over there, with Fred Thal the moderator being an expert in A80 repair. Come armed with the exact model and serial number so that the guys can give you precise info.

http://www.recordist.com/
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project