TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Flat Copy?  (Read 8186 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Flat Copy?
« on: November 05, 2016, 01:26:31 AM »
What is a flat copy?  I have a master copy which says "Flat Copy".    Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Flat Copy?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »
That means there was no EQ applied during the transfer.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Q
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »
Doc/Larry,

This is VERY interesting.  If you think about it - how do you TURN OFF playback or record equalization when playing back or recording a dub?  Ever seen a deck that could do this? The circuits I've seen ALWAYS have SOME EQ components switched in - you can switch in different value components to change that a bit  but because the parts are typically an integral part of a feedback network in the amplifier circuitry - SOMETHING has to be there.

I'd opine that it MAY mean whomever made the dub applied the "original - or same" EQ to the copy.

It should be "really easy" to determine if the dub is flat or equalized "somehow".  Listen to it using, say with NAB EQ switched in and let us know how it sounds.  If "flat" DOES mean un-equalized, then the tonal balance will be WAY off.

Charles   

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 04:55:23 PM »
Charles, I think it means that the original EQ (IEC I assume in this case) was preserved without any additional EQ being applied to the tape.  I do have a few tapes which say "Production Master" with a notation that they were equalized, limited, etc. I assume for cutting vinyl.  When I listened to the tape, with IEC, I think it sounded right - it is a rock album, so I don't have a good reference, certainly not in my collection. :-)

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »
I believe the 30ips transfer connection option on the Nagra Ts might have bypassed the record/playback eq circuits, but I'm not sure. However Larry is right in assuming that I simply meant no EQ changes are made with outboard equipment to the change the tonal balance of the copy relative to the master. A common situation would be changing the EQ for disc mastering.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
Greetings guys!

IMHO what is meant by "flat copy" depends entirely on the folks who made the copy.
In other words, Flat as opposed to copies which aren't flat such as Dolby A encoded.
So Larry, we aren't the people to ask.
Only the folks who know what "isn't flat" is and they are the people who made the copy and wrote "Flat Copy" on yours.

At least, that is my WAG.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
What is a flat copy?  I have a master copy which says "Flat Copy".    Thanks, Larry

Ooh -- nice!
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)