TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: NOS Ampex branded Quantegy  (Read 5784 times)

Offline djd2

• View Profile
NOS Ampex branded Quantegy
« on: February 07, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
Just found this forum and looks like the place to ask. I have come across a box of 40 - 1/4" reels of NOS Ampex branded Quantegy 456. 7" reels 1200' shrink wrapped. There is no date sticker on the outside so not sure what year these might be? I can't find any conclusive info regarding the sticky shed syndrome associated with this era of tape. Any advice would be appreciated, I could really use this tape.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Offline Skylab

• View Profile
Re: NOS Ampex branded Quantegy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
Hi Dave,

Supposedly sometime after Quantegy bought the Ampex tape brand, the binder formulation for 456 was changed, and no longer prone to SSS. I have had a couple pancakes of Quantegy 456 that were perfect, no problems at all.  I'm not sure anyone knows though exactly what date the change occurred though. Quantegy 456 is a bit of a crapshoot I'm afraid, and of course Ampex branded 456 is either already bad or going bad.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NOS Ampex branded Quantegy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
I would not use any era 456. I have had to do restoration work on 456 from every era, including right up to the end...including new tapes that started going bad within a couple of months of the manufacturing date. You might get lucky and have a good batch, but really, what's the point? There are good tapes available that don't carry this risk.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject