Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Sony TC377 reel to reel tapedeck  (Read 4559 times)

Offline IMDaniels

• View Profile
Sony TC377 reel to reel tapedeck
« on: February 19, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
Hi,

I recently rescued my Sony TC377 from the loft where it had languished for the past 30 years or so.  When I switched it on it seemed that the only problem, surprisingly, was that the tape counter didn't work.  I'd like to replace the counter belt(s?), and while I'm at it, to replace the other belts and clean off and replace old grease where necessary at the same time.

I now live in a very rural part of France, and finding a tech is difficult, so I'll have to do the job myself.  I'd be very grateful to anyone who could talk me through replacement of the counter belt, which I understand is the most difficult to do (imagine you're talking to a five year-old), also, once I've cleaned off the old grease, what type of grease should I replace it with?

As a matter of interest, the tapes which I recorded in the eighties all seem fine, including a couple which I rerecorded as they carried an earth hum on the original recordings.  There's no stickiness and negligible shedding.  The tapes are BASF DP26 LH super.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian Daniels