TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Recording levels Revox B-77 mk2.  (Read 11506 times)

Offline Rob mac

• View Profile
Recording levels Revox B-77 mk2.
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »
Hi folks!
I'm relatively new to reel to reel.Been making a few tapes from vinyl with good sucssess.
Were I'm having issues is while recording.I monitor the vu meters and try to keep the peak levels around -6db.Each left/right vu meters have a overmodulation indicator and will flash red when the peaks are too high,so I try to keep it under that.When I playback the tape the levels are a fair bit higher with the lights flashing on the peaks.I guess I could just record at a lower level?
Can I adjust the meters or do I need test equipment for this?.
Also can I damage my tube amp or speakers by playing overmodulated tapes?.

Thanks for any help.
Rob Mcintosh,Vancouver b.c

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Re: Recording levels Revox B-77 mk2.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:36:17 PM »
Hi...I've been trying to stay at about -3 to -5 and have been "audtioning" my material to get just a bit of peaking with the red leds'.  I think the analog vu's can be 15db lagging on transient peaks, if I understand things correctly, so the -3 to -5 feel ok to me.

I think if there's a difference between your recording level and repro level that you need to have you machine serviced.  There's a discussion about seeting the levels, bias, etc...in the PR99 service manual, along with directions on servicing to make sure they are the same.  Caveat it that I think you need some special equipment.  In the past, I've seen it when I use a "hotter" tape then my machine is biased for.

Hope that helps....heidana

Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline Rob mac

• View Profile
Re: Recording levels Revox B-77 mk2.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 09:24:45 PM »
Heidana,
Thanks.I see now looking through the B77 manual that I will need to pick up a Audio generator and a audio millivolt meter.I have a digital multimeter,same thing?.

I should have read the service manual in the first place.There is a wealth of knowledge there.
I will need to pick up a calibration tape for most of the tests.
 Until then I'll keep the levels lower!.

Cheers,Rob.

Offline James Guillebeau

• View Profile
You need an AC voltmeter calibrated in dbv
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:51:19 PM »
To set up your machine you would need an audio RMS AC voltmeter  like a Genrad 1840A or an Eico 250. Hewlett Packard also made some but I'm not familiar with the model. Basically you need to calibrate the output level (playback level) with the VU meter on your machine.  Then adjust the input level where they match the output level when you switch from tape to source. Might be also nice to monitor the incoming AC voltage with a separate digital voltmeter.
"I'm completely free of prejudice. I hate everyone equally." W.C. Fields