Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Spec's for RS1500 heads (so far)  (Read 12428 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Spec's for RS1500 heads (so far)
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:25:56 AM »
For whom it may concern,..playback only;
The heads in this post are the stock Technics heads;
The Flux Magnetics heads in Doc's upgraded RS1500;
Heads installed @ JFR on Mike Paschetto's ( of Progressive-Engineering ) RS1500 as more tube friendly heads than stock (I believe they are Tascam and Panasonic but I don't know which is which)
Flux Mag.      1/2 track   200 Mhy    45 ohm DCR
Stock            1/2 track   200 Mhy   185 ohm DCR
JFR               1/2 track   370 Mhy   500 ohm DCR
Stock            1/4 track   400 Mhy   350 ohm DCR
JFR               1/4 track   560 Mhy   400 ohm DCR
I case anyone else was wondering, the rs1500 that Tim deParavincini modded and was also a CES 07 uses stock heads according to a poster @AA.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Spec's for RS1500 heads (so far)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »
I case anyone else was wondering, the rs1500 that Tim deParavincini modded and was also a CES 07 uses stock heads according to a poster @AA.

That post was by our own High and Outside (you mean like on the studio roof with a joint?), a.k.a. Bodyslam on the Asylum and some other forums, a.k.a. Dr. Knobs, a.k.a. Paul Stubblebine.

Thanks for posting the head info, Steve.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Mikey

• View Profile
My memory fails me right now....
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »

Heads installed @ JRF on Mike Paschetto's ( of Progressive-Engineering ) RS1500 as more tube friendly heads than stock (I believe they are Tascam and Panasonic but I don't know which is which)

Off the top of my head, I can't remember which is which either....
If anyone is interested, post a reply to this message and I will try to dig out the paperwork I've got at home.

Mike

Offline Mikey

• View Profile
RS-1500 Tube Friendly Head Specifications!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:07:08 PM »
Now that I've got the paperwork in front of me....here's what JRF Magnetics installed in my RS-1500 headblock:

(1) - 1/4 track playback head, Panasonic RPB-065 (560mHy, 400 ohm DCR)
(1) - 1/2 track playback head, Tascam 5378301000 (370mHy, 500 ohm DCR)
(1) - dummy erase head
(1) - dummy record head

The assembly was optically aligned, the guides were rotated, and the selector switch was cleaned....all for less than $600.00.

Mike

Offline Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 06:36:49 PM »
Flux Mag.      1/2 track   200 Mhy    45 ohm DCR
Stock            1/2 track   200 Mhy   185 ohm DCR
JFR               1/2 track   370 Mhy   500 ohm DCR
My question: is there a relationship between more milahenry's and performance? How is DCR significant, isolation?

Thanks for any replies.

Chuck McCalment
Linn LP-12, SME w/ Clearaudio Arum Beta S, Seduction phono stage, Foreplay III preamp to 300B Monoblocks (Parabee) and homebrew 3 way speakers. Current projects: Straight 8 line array speakers w/ ribbon tweeters and RS-1500 resurrection.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:47:47 PM »
The higher the inductance, the higher the output. I believe (?) that the DCR is more of an impedance matching thing. I emailed JFR about a week ago and tried to get John to post a proper explanation here but nothing so far. Hopefully Doc can chime in here. I'm really doing my best to understand the hows and whys with these things. Right now, I'm looking into what is involved in the interface between the heads and electronics.http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/ Jay McKnight has some really good info on his web site about reel2reel.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:51:48 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:43:20 PM »
Correct, Tim d.P's 1500 uses stock heads...

his specs w/ his eq are 5-40k around 80db s/n

SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 10:32:43 PM »
My question: is there a relationship between more milahenry's and performance? How is DCR significant, isolation?

I'd be careful about assuming that any one of these specs is a figure of merit by itself. It would be like asking, "What's the best value for a cathode resistor?" It would depend a lot on the rest of the circuit, wouldn't it?

I'll leave the details to people who know more about design than I do...I know enough to be dangerous, but I'd probably get something wrong.   
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject