Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Otari 5050 BII With Flux Magnetic Head  (Read 6270 times)

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Otari 5050 BII With Flux Magnetic Head
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:30:47 AM »
Ok just curious because I can't remember which tape pre sounds better with this setup? Does anyone know the deHavilland vs the Tube Repro? I notice that the induction is quite different between the stock heads and the flux head, wondering what effect this would have on either tape pre?
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Otari 5050 BII With Flux Magnetic Head
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:40:41 AM »
I have a lot of information on the MX5050BII but I can't find the inductance specs of the heads. Where did you find that?

RE: the two repro's, I don't have a basis for comparison. I am very familiar with the Bottlehead unit, which I have been using for years. I have only heard the deHavilland at shows, though I liked what I heard.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
Hi Paul,
It's been a while how are you? I am good, just trying to find out some facts. I got the induction numbers from John French, it comes on the paperwork he provides with the heads. I already have both tape pre's and I am sure a listen will determine the one that match's best. At the same time I wanted to know what these numbers mean in terms of sound quality.
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »
The deHavilland preamp is based on Ampex designs and has that family sound. That may mean that it has been designed with the older high inductance heads in mind, but I don't know. At least in terms of how they work with a Tube Repro, the stock Otari head and and the Flux head both work just fine, of course with the Flux head sounding more extended and flat at the frequency extremes.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project