TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: TP-030 Doc Watson now being duped  (Read 7575 times)

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TP-030 Doc Watson now being duped
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
The elves here at The Tapeshed are hard at work preparing our next release: Doc Watson/Never The Same Way Once/Live At The Boarding House May 1974.

You can read some of the background here: http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/LSD-king-Owsley-Stanley-s-Sonic-Journals-11209700.php#photo-13030458

Doc Watson, along with his son Merle and a bass player, appeared in a four night run at San Francisco's fondly remembered night club The Boarding House. (Bonus trivia content: The Boarding House occupied the theater which had previously been the first location of Coast Recorders.) The shows were all recorded by the Grateful Dead's legendary engineer Bear (Owsley Stanley.) Now for the first time these recordings are being released to the public.

The Owsley Stanley Foundation, which has control of the original master tapes, has made its arrangements with Doc Watson's estate, and they just put out a seven CD box set of the entire four night run, and are doing a 2-LP release of one particular night's show. And they are allowing us to put out a tape that incorporates the same program as the LP.

The duping is almost finished, and the flanges are coming along. However due to one unusual circumstance it's hard to give a firm date for the release. This is the first time that we aren't designing the artwork in house. The graphics firm that did the art for the CD box set is also doing the design for the LP and for us. They do great work, but that means we don't have control of when it's ready. 

I'm in the shop today working on the LP mastering, so I'm hearing the program again, and getting excited all over again about getting the tapes finished and shipped out to our subscribers. It's absolutely marvelous music-making, interspersed with just a bit of Doc's country humor. I can already tell that this one is going to go into regular rotation at my house (after everyone else gets it--Romo and I don't get our personal copies until all the subscribers do.)

I'll post an update shortly when I can narrow down the release date.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:28:35 AM by High and Outside »
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TP-030 Doc Watson now being duped
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »
Time for an update:
We now have the last remaining component--the graphics firm has delivered the final art to us. Our printing department is warming up the printing presses right now. Once those are printed, it's off to the packaging department.

Those guys in the packaging department have been working very hard lately, so I'm giving them a vacation break.

Based on their schedule, I now anticipate that we will be starting to ship TP-030 to subscribers in the second week of October.
Paul Stubblebine

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
Thanks for the update
Xavier Cortes

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
That reminds me...I have heard from two subscribers who have new shipping addresses. If you are a charter subscriber and your shipping address has changed since we sent you TP-029, please email the new information to info at tapeproject dot com. Please don't post it on the forum, though.
Paul Stubblebine

Offline dminches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
Are you able to tell us which night the tape will come from?

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:26:32 PM »
Sure. It's Thursday May 2, 1974.
Paul Stubblebine

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TP-030 Doc Watson now being shipped
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 08:32:55 PM »
OK, they are being packed up and shipped. They will be on the way to all charter subscribers over the next few days, then a page will appear on the website so others may purchase.
Paul Stubblebine

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Woo Hoo!
Got my Doc and Merle on Friday!
I haven't been around here for quite a while so it was a wonderful surprise.

Now, to get my tape rig up and running (I moved to Oregon) and give this puppy a listen.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »
Got mine. Thanks so much
Xavier Cortes

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
TP-030 has now been shipped to all Charter Subscribers.

TP-030 will have an order page up on the website shortly, but it will show "Out Of Stock" for a couple of weeks. Please use the Notification feature on the order page so you will be the first to hear when we have them available.

We have plenty more duplicated, but we are now waiting for more flanges. The outfit making our flanges is slow right now. Because of Hurricane Irma. Yeah...that's the ticket. It's because of the hurricane.

This affects all those other titles that currently show "Out Of Stock" too. We have them all duped, just waiting on flanges, and the time to engrave the flanges and assemble the albums. Those will start to show up back in inventory right after TP-030 does.
Paul Stubblebine