TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Otari MX-5050BII - question on equalization calibration  (Read 2225 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Otari MX-5050BII - question on equalization calibration
« on: February 01, 2023, 12:22:58 PM »
It has been awhile since I posted here last - this used to be THE place for the RTR community, so here goes.  For many years I had a Technics RS1520, which had the advantage of switchable IEC/NAB equalization.  I sent it to Jeff Jacobs for a refit, which was not possible.  Not being a fan of the Technics tape path (I am all thumbs) I wanted to replace it with something else, and Jeff was able to set me up with a Tascam BR20, and I totally prefer the tape path on that.  That one is switchable as well.  But....I would actually love to play 4 track tapes in my better living room system (I have a Tandberg and Akai in my office, but no room for them in my living room), and I am looking at an Otari MX-5050BII 2, which has a 4 track head as well as the two track.  I downloaded a copy of the users manual, and the equalization switch is on the back, not the front like the Technics and the Tascam, but the manual says, and I quote "NAB or IEC for 3-3/4, 7-1/2 and 15 ips.  Switchable on the rear panel, but calibration is necessary."  Does this mean for recording only, or does one need to calibrate for playback as well?  I have been switching on the Tascam - I have all of the TPP tapes, of course, and I have also collected a few 7.5 ips 2 track NAB tapes as well, which I have been playing.  Thanks for any insight here.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's