Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Otari MX-5050BII - question on equalization calibration  (Read 2238 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Otari MX-5050BII - question on equalization calibration
« on: February 01, 2023, 12:22:58 PM »
It has been awhile since I posted here last - this used to be THE place for the RTR community, so here goes.  For many years I had a Technics RS1520, which had the advantage of switchable IEC/NAB equalization.  I sent it to Jeff Jacobs for a refit, which was not possible.  Not being a fan of the Technics tape path (I am all thumbs) I wanted to replace it with something else, and Jeff was able to set me up with a Tascam BR20, and I totally prefer the tape path on that.  That one is switchable as well.  But....I would actually love to play 4 track tapes in my better living room system (I have a Tandberg and Akai in my office, but no room for them in my living room), and I am looking at an Otari MX-5050BII 2, which has a 4 track head as well as the two track.  I downloaded a copy of the users manual, and the equalization switch is on the back, not the front like the Technics and the Tascam, but the manual says, and I quote "NAB or IEC for 3-3/4, 7-1/2 and 15 ips.  Switchable on the rear panel, but calibration is necessary."  Does this mean for recording only, or does one need to calibrate for playback as well?  I have been switching on the Tascam - I have all of the TPP tapes, of course, and I have also collected a few 7.5 ips 2 track NAB tapes as well, which I have been playing.  Thanks for any insight here.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's