Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: LAST Tape Treatments  (Read 5955 times)

ceved

LAST Tape Treatments
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
I was able to speak with a person who represented themselves as the owner of LAST.  Their voice fit the part.
A very nice gentleman.
I am sorry I did not catch his name.
In any event, there was some question in the Forum  as to whether LAST still offered to do their in house drying and treating of rtr tapes with their product.
The answer is a solid yes.
Said owner's wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery, and things have gotten a bit backed up at the factory.
I was assured I would receive a quote as soon as practical which is fine with me.  Please take your time was my reply.
Short version is that the service still is available, but the wait may be a bit protracted at this time.
I will post the quote for those with any interest sometime in the future.

ceved

Re: LAST Tape Treatments
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
I have heard back from the folks at LAST.  No pun intended as I insisted that they take their time.
In short for a 7"reel of 1/4 tape the cost to dry and treat the tape with LAST preservative which has no splices is approximately $15 per tape.
The assignment was for an order of approximately 200 tapes.
Based upon the description of the process which is lengthy and labor intensive, and their inalienable right to make a reasonable profit the price seems appropriate.
In fairness to LAST, I asked them not to go to great lengths to work out a detailed proposal as I suspected that the cost might be prohibitive especially when you factor in the cost to pack and ship from coast to coast.
I however also subscribe to the same premise as Craig that you don't know what kind of an answer you will receive unless you ask.
My quest will now be to locate a cheap rtr machine to convert to a tape treatment purpose and load up on the LAST product.
In all respects the folks from LAST were most congenial and responsive to my inquiries.
I will report back with results.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: LAST Tape Treatments
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:14:59 PM »
That does seem reasonable. Thanks for checking,.. and that reminds me,.. I still have that tape in the bag with the crystal dryers. Hmm, I think I dated the bag but it's had to have been 2-3 months now.
I agree, Walter was very free with any info that I asked for. I'm happy to send business his way.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades